Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Login Fails for Local User

chuck47172
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Unified CM Administration: System version: 12.5.1.13900-152
Jabber: Version 14.1.3.57304 Build 307304

I have many Jabber phones with end users configured as LDAP Synchronized users.
Those work great. No problems.
I have one that is configured as a local user which fails every time I try to login.
I get an error message that says "Username or password is incorrect. Please try again."
Any idea what I can be missing?
I'm using a fresh install of Jabber and logging in with the user's name plus domain like "JonnyFive@abc123.com".
I have the end user and phone built the same as any other working jabber phone. The only difference is this is a "local user" rather than an "LDAP synchronized" user.
Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated.

14 Replies 14

Login to self care portal using the local user you created. If you are able to login, check if the user is showing as assigned user in IMP. If this local user you created in unassigned user list you will get "username password incorrect message.  If the user is in unassigned user check the home cluster and service profile assigned for this users.

Response Signature

Thanks for the reply. The user is assigned in IMP, confirmed. Login to Self Care Portal works successfully. Home cluster is checked and UC Service Profile is assigned. Any other suggestions?

Moreover @Nithin Eluvathingal comment, don't forget to assign the user to the following access control groups:

• Standard CCM End Users
  • Standard CTI Enabled

Thanks for the reply. Those roles are assigned.

And these are also probably correct, but...

Is the CSF device associated with the user in the End-User account, and is the user set as the Owner on the CSF device configuration page?

Also: Is the abc123.com domain this user is logging in with the same domain as your LDAP-integrated users?

Maren

Thank you for your reply. Yes to all three of your questions. I'm puzzled. I'm thinking it is some sort of DNS issue possibly or it's getting blocked within our network some how but not sure how to test that. I have no issue logging in with an LDAP user.

You've checked all the things I would check. We'd have to look at logs next. Would you be able to generate a PRT and share the Jabber log from it?

Maren

Sorry, I'm not allowed to share the PRT file.
I do have a PRT though.
Before all this started, I had Jabber loaded on my PC and I was logged in with my personal LDAP user account credentials.
In order to test the new local user I created, I uninstalled Jabber from my computer and deleted folders...
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Cisco
And
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Cisco
Then after a reboot, I launched Jabber and got the error message "Username or password is incorrect. Please try again.".
I then ran the PRT.
Not sure what log I should view from that or what exactly that I should be searching the file for however; I looked at file jabberAllConfig.xml.
I saw this in the file... <lastloadeduserprofile>Me@abc123.com</lastloadeduserprofile>
So, does that mean my PC is still caching my credentials from when I was logged in with my LDAP account?
Should I be looking in some other PRT file for other clues?

One option is to "Reset Jabber" (after you log out) to clear your information. Although if you deleted the two "Cisco" folders (after logging out and exiting the Jabber program fully) that is 'better' than a reset.

I can't think of anything else (beyond the suggestions here) to check. I'd be digging in the PRT at this point. If you can't share it (and I get that) I don't know if we can help further. Can you contact TAC?

Maren

Thanks for the reply. I think my PC is just hosed up somehow. I accessed another PC on out network ans was able to login successfully with both the local account and my LDAP account. I was able to easily switch back and forth by resetting Jabber each time and I didn't have to delete any folder either. It just doesn't make sense.

That is strange. I'd uninstall Jabber. Clear the various folders with Jabber info. Then reinstall. You are right that has to be a PC-level issue. I'm glad you were able to find the culprit!

Maren

I have reinstalled, still have the same issue.
Something odd here.
On several computers I can login to Jabber successfully with an LDAP account. Once I do that, I can sign out and then reset Jabber.
Once I reset Jabber, it will present me with a new login screen that gives advanced setting options.
With advanced settings I can set the Login Server IP address.
Once I do that I can login with the local user account.
On other computers, I do the same thing but never get the advanced settings option.
I can still login with an LDAP synch account successfully. At that point, I reset Jabber and it takes me to the login screen without the advanced setting option.
If I could get to the advanced settings, I would be fixed.

Never Mind my previous post. I found the fix for this.
Not sure why it does this on some computers and not others is beyond me at the moment.

In order to login the first time with a local user account, It is necessary to login as user's name plus domain like "JonnyFive@abc123.com".
That has to be done from the login screen that actually prompts you to use the format username@example.com.
This is also the same screen that provides access to advanced settings.

I can never get to that screen on some computers even after a reset.
On a fresh install of jabber it immediately present me with a different "cisco unified collaboration" login screen that only wants username and password.

So, here is what I did to force it to give me the screen that prompts for loging in with name & domain...

CISCO JABBER - INSTALL WITH UPN DISCOVERY DISABLED
Process for existing Jabber installation.
1) Open a text editor such as notepad +. The text editor should have administrator permissions. You can give it administrator permissions by opening it by right clicking it and selecting run as administrator and then clicking yes on the user account control window that pops up.
2) Open the following file
C:\ProgramData\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\jabber-bootstrap.properties
3) On line 30 replace this text 'NOT_SPECIFIED', with this text 'upnDiscoveryEnabled: false'
4) If Jabber is running, sign out, and click reset Jabber
5) Run jabber again and confirm you can login.

I really hope this helps others. This took my many hours of trial and error to figure this out. Now I can move on to fix other broken stuff on the cluster.

@chuck47172  - Thank you for taking the time to share your solution. (I'm glad you found one!) This is a huge help to folks who search on this topic later on.

Maren