cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cluster Upgrade - A or B !

keanej
Level 3
Level 3

I am upgrading a Centralised Infrasturcture from MCS servers to a virtualised environment.

Current Versions for Call Manager areCUCM 6.1.3 on MCS 7835-H

Unity Connection are CUC 7.0.2 on MCS-7845-H2

Contact Manager Express - UCCX 7.0.1SR5 on MCS-7825-H3

We are going to

CUCM 8.5 / CUC 8.5 / UCCX 8.5(1) on a C210M2 Server (Its properly provisioned)

Solution a -)

Should we upgrade the existing infrasturcture to 7.X and then 8.X on MCS Servers - do a DR backup and restore to a virtualised environment (with 8.x installed)

OR

Solution b -)

Build a new infrastructure on the virtualised environment, attach it to the existing cluster - create a trunk between the systems and migrate the users across (site by site)

The big problem with solution B, is that users passwords / voicemails / 'logged in' status is not retained.

Our Cisco contact seems to recommend option B, online I am reading solution A.

Any advice / opinion appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rahman Dani
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,
I think better, u can choice the option one
1. Because you have option w/ new box and u can create your mini lab for testing all feture and services before run in production
2. CUCM and UC already in linux platform so you can bars/ (disaster and recovery) and restore in the new boxs
3. for CCX, I think you must request the license upgrade or temporary license to licensing (better w/ permanent license if you not in deadline) - perhaps you already have ucss contract for all Unified Commomunication products.
4. at your mini labs you can test all feature, like integrate w/ AD, exchange and etc..
5. for CCX, you can use migration tool or re-build your new server. for me rebuild new servers is my choice, for reduce error in integration w/ cucm and sql.

thanks and best regards

RD

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rahman Dani
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,
I think better, u can choice the option one
1. Because you have option w/ new box and u can create your mini lab for testing all feture and services before run in production
2. CUCM and UC already in linux platform so you can bars/ (disaster and recovery) and restore in the new boxs
3. for CCX, I think you must request the license upgrade or temporary license to licensing (better w/ permanent license if you not in deadline) - perhaps you already have ucss contract for all Unified Commomunication products.
4. at your mini labs you can test all feature, like integrate w/ AD, exchange and etc..
5. for CCX, you can use migration tool or re-build your new server. for me rebuild new servers is my choice, for reduce error in integration w/ cucm and sql.

thanks and best regards

RD

Thanks for that - I had forgotten that UCCX was moving from Windows to Linux.

I need to migrate CUCM and CUC to 7.1(5B) before I can get to 8.5.

Should I upgrade Unity Connection from 7.0.1 to 7.1 (5b) before Call Manager

or

Should I upgrade Call Manager before upgrading Cisco Unity Connection

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

You will need to determine if the 7835H is even able to move to CUCM 8.5. Have a look at the requirements

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

You may need to move CUC to 8.5 first to free up the 7845H2 and then re-purpose it for your

CUCM migration.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: