cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cofiguring FXO port to POTS pstn line on c2911 router

Anupam Singh
Level 1
Level 1

I have got VIC2-2FXO card in cisco router 2911. One ADSL  card is for broadband( internet ) connection. Four Cisco IP Phones 7960 are connected to router with extension number 5000, 5001, 5002 and 5003. PSTN line have been assigned a phone number with area  and country code. I am using only one FXO port to pots line by using rj-11 to rj-11 cable.

Could anyone please suggest dial-peer configuration and fxo port configuration to make inbound and outbound calls using assigned PSTN number?

Thank You

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configure the voice-port for connection plar to point to an extension you want, in this example I am pointing to 5000:

voice-port 2/0

connection plar opx 5000

then build an outbound dial-peer(s) for PSTN calls, since you have not stated what country you are in here is an example from US of Local/LD/TollFree calls in area code requiring 11 digits for dialing locally (my home):

dial-peer voice 1111 pots

tone ringback alert-no-PI

destination-pattern 1[2-9]..[2-9]......

no digit-strip

port 2/0

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

No. Just configure connection plar with the extension number you want to ring.

For destination-pattern, you will need to configure as many DPs as necessary, that can vary a lot depending on the sophistications and control desired.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configure the voice-port for connection plar to point to an extension you want, in this example I am pointing to 5000:

voice-port 2/0

connection plar opx 5000

then build an outbound dial-peer(s) for PSTN calls, since you have not stated what country you are in here is an example from US of Local/LD/TollFree calls in area code requiring 11 digits for dialing locally (my home):

dial-peer voice 1111 pots

tone ringback alert-no-PI

destination-pattern 1[2-9]..[2-9]......

no digit-strip

port 2/0

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I am from UK. Country Code is 44, Area Code 1782 followed by 6 digit phone number. It should be 12 digit in this case.

destination-pattern 44[1-9]..[2-9]......

Is this Ok?

Thanks

Regards

No. Just configure connection plar with the extension number you want to ring.

For destination-pattern, you will need to configure as many DPs as necessary, that can vary a lot depending on the sophistications and control desired.

Hi

PLAR is working fine. But if I make any call inside or outside  then internetconnection go down. atm interface go down and go up again  when call ends.

I have got ADSL interface for internet connection.

Could anyone help regarding this.

Thank You

Regards

Hello Chris,

When you set the PLAR you usually point to a specific extension.

How can you point to a group of extensions?

How con you point 2 POTS lines to a specific extension?

I have a Cisco 2901 and it has 2 POTS, but only one POTS is used by one specific extension.

Hi Claudio,

It is possible to  point out multiple POTS connection to the groups of internal extensions. you are supposed to make hunt-group for this.

Add all your internal Extensions to  the Hunt Group and assign Pilot number to the hunt group. After that, point out only pilot number in PLAR configuration. For Example, 

suppose there are 3  internal phone extensions 5001, 5002, 5003. And also 2 POTS line. you want both POTS line to point out all three internal extensions. Following configuration will work.

!

voice hunt-group 1 sequential
final 5003
list 5000, 5002
timeout 15
pilot 5900                     /*This is PILOT number, it could be chosen  any number*/

!

!

voice-port 0/0/1      /*Slots on your router for pots*/ /1st POTS LINE/
timeouts call-disconnect 5
timeouts wait-release 5
connection plar opx 5900
impedance complex2
bearer-cap Speech
caller-id enable
!
voice-port 0/0/2                                  /2nd POTS LINE/
timeouts call-disconnect 5
timeouts wait-release 5
connection plar opx 5900
impedance complex2
bearer-cap Speech
caller-id enable
!

Please let me know for further clarification.

Thank You

Good Anupam Singh !

Why did you do connection plar opx instead of connection plar? Is there any difference?

Claudio, 

In case of using only IP phones registered  with Gateway Router/PBX  we only need to configure "Connection PLAR"   BUT if you have got analog phones that normally uses FXS port  to connect with, You need to configure "connection plar opx" because opx (Off Premise Extension) mode allows remote user to connect to the gateway/pbx directly as a local extension. If you do not configure "opx" mode  for analog phones you will get disconnected immediately. 

So, you can use any one of  "connection plar opx" or  " connection plar"  but if you have got FXS ports for analog then you definitely required connection plar opx

PLEASE LET ME KNOW FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.

Thank you

faizmz
Level 1
Level 1

I like this thread. Its very easy to read and understand, the question is simple and the answer is clear and straight forward. It helps a lot for a beginner like me. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: