Views
Helpful
Replies

Confrence Bridge in CUCM ver 8

Hari Prasad
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team     

I need to know about confence bridge , Is this require any seprate hardware also to work or its a feature like Meet-me ?  

hari       

Please rate helpful posts
Thanks, Hari Prasad
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two types of Conference bridge namely software and hardware CFB. Hardware CFB requires is hosted on cisco gateways and requires DSPs. Software CFB is hosted on CUCM, hence you do not need any hardware for this...

Meet-Me conferencing can use both hardware and software CFB but softwar CFB only supports G711 codec

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two types of Conference bridge namely software and hardware CFB. Hardware CFB requires is hosted on cisco gateways and requires DSPs. Software CFB is hosted on CUCM, hence you do not need any hardware for this...

Meet-Me conferencing can use both hardware and software CFB but softwar CFB only supports G711 codec

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thanks Aokanlanwon

hari

Thanks, Hari Prasad

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Hari,

Separate hardware required only when there is mixed of codec are involved. Hardware conference bridges can support multiple  low bit-rate (LBR)  stream types such as G.729 or G.723. This capability  enables some  hardware conference bridges to handle mixed-mode  conferences. In a  mixed-mode conference, the hardware conference bridge  transcodes G.729  and G.723 streams into G.711 streams, mixes them, and  then encodes the  resulting stream into the appropriate stream type for  transmission back  to the user.

There may be scenarios where you have some users configured to use G729.  In this case when these users attempt to join or use the conference  bridge resoruces, this will fail if you only have software conference  bridge. hence it i always advisable to have dsp resources on the user's  local router for hardware conference bridge.

Even in Meet-me you would require Hardware conference bridge if there are mixed of codec.Since CUCM software conference bridge can handl g711 calls.

Br,

Nadeem

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Thank you so much for giving exact answer with example.

hari

Thanks, Hari Prasad