cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert Cisco UCM 8.0 DVD to be an ISO for Remote Filesystem upgrade?

ryabutler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to do the following:

I have the Cisco Unified Communication Manager 8.0(3a) DVD that I want to use to do an upgrade from 6.1(4).  Well I need to convert that as an ISO so I can do the upgrade through "Remote Filesystem" instead of "DVD/CD" since the server is physically in a different state.

I tried to convert an ISO, but going through the Software Upgrade wizard and selecting "Remote Filesystem" it's unable to locate any accpetable files to install/upgrade.

What can I do to accomplish what I need done?

Thank you!

-rya

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rya,

Hope all is well my friend

For this upgrade you can use the .iso's available via CCO;

Upgrading to Unified CM 8.0(3a) by Using the UCSInstall File

Because of its size, the UCSInstall iso file, UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso, comprises two parts:

UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part1of2

UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part2of2

Procedure

Step 1 From the Software Download page on Cisco.com, download the two UCSInstall files.

Step 2 To combine the two files, execute one of the following commands.

a. If you have a Unix/Linux system, copy and paste the following command into the CLI:

cat UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part1of2  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part2of2 >  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso

b. If you have a Windows system, copy and paste the following command into the command prompt (cmd.exe):

COPY /B  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part1of2+UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part2of2  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso

Step 3 Use an md5sum utility to verify that the MD5 sum of the final file is correct.

eb2126b16c8ff5912fa0ebd0f8802d42 UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso

Step 4 Continue by following the instructions in the "Upgrading from a Local Source" section or the "Upgrading from a Remote Source" section.

Upgrading from a Remote Source

To upgrade the software from a network location or remote server, use the following procedure.

Note Do  not use the browser controls, such as Refresh/Reload, while you are  accessing Cisco Unified Operating System Administration. Instead, use  the navigation controls that are provided by the interface.

Procedure

Step 1 Put the upgrade file on an FTP or SFTP server that the server that you are upgrading can access.

a. If you have a Cisco-provided upgrade disk, copy the contents of the disk to the remote server.

b. If you downloaded the upgrade files, copy the files you downloaded to the remote server.

Step 2 Log in to Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration.

Step 3 Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade.

The Software Installation/Upgrade window displays.

Step 4 From the Source list, choose Remote Filesystem.

Step 5 In the Directory field, enter the path to the directory that contains the patch file on the remote system.

If the upgrade file is located on a Linux or Unix server, you must enter  a forward slash at the beginning of the directory path. For example, if  the upgrade file is in the patches directory, you must enter /patches

If the upgrade file is located on a Windows server, remember that you  are connecting to an FTP or SFTP server, so use the appropriate syntax,  including

Begin the path with a forward slash (/) and use forward slashes throughout the path.

The  path must start from the FTP or SFTP root directory on the server, so  you cannot enter a Windows absolute path, which starts with a drive  letter (for example, C:).

Step 6 In the Server field, enter the server name or IP address.

Step 7 In the User Name field, enter your user name on the remote server.

Step 8 In the User Password field, enter your password on the remote server.

Step 9 Select the transfer protocol from the Transfer Protocol field.

Step 10 To disable throttling, check the Disable I/O throttling check box.

Caution Although disabling throttling decreases the time it takes to perform the upgrade, it may degrade system performance.

If you want to reenable throttling after you start the upgrade, you must  cancel the upgrade, reenable throttling, and then restart the upgrade.

Step 11 To continue the upgrade process, click Next.

Step 12 Choose the upgrade version that you want to install and click Next.

If you are upgrading from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.x or 7.x, the upgrade file has the extension sgn.iso.

Step 13 In the next window, monitor the progress of the download.

Note If  you lose your connection with the server or close your browser during  the upgrade process, you may see the following message when you try to  access the Software Upgrades menu again:

Warning: Another session is installing software, click Assume Control to take over the installation.

If you are sure you want to take over the session, click Assume Control.

If Assume Control does not display, you can also monitor the upgrade with the Cisco Unified Real Time Monitoring Tool.

Step 14 If you want to install the upgrade and automatically reboot to the upgraded partition, choose Reboot to upgraded partition. The system restarts and runs the upgraded software.

Step 15 If you want to install the upgrade and then manually reboot to the upgraded partition at a later time, do the following steps:

a. Choose Do not reboot after upgrade.

b. Click Next.

The Upgrade Status window displays the Upgrade log.

c. When the installation completes, click Finish.

d. To restart the system and activate the upgrade, choose Settings > Version; then, click Switch Version.

The system restarts and is running the upgraded software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_3/cucm-rel_notes-803a.html#wp1776144

Here's the path on CCO;

Unified Communications Manager / Cisco Unity Connection Updates-8.0(3a)

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rya,

Hope all is well my friend

For this upgrade you can use the .iso's available via CCO;

Upgrading to Unified CM 8.0(3a) by Using the UCSInstall File

Because of its size, the UCSInstall iso file, UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso, comprises two parts:

UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part1of2

UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part2of2

Procedure

Step 1 From the Software Download page on Cisco.com, download the two UCSInstall files.

Step 2 To combine the two files, execute one of the following commands.

a. If you have a Unix/Linux system, copy and paste the following command into the CLI:

cat UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part1of2  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part2of2 >  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso

b. If you have a Windows system, copy and paste the following command into the command prompt (cmd.exe):

COPY /B  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part1of2+UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso_part2of2  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso

Step 3 Use an md5sum utility to verify that the MD5 sum of the final file is correct.

eb2126b16c8ff5912fa0ebd0f8802d42 UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.3.20000-2.sgn.iso

Step 4 Continue by following the instructions in the "Upgrading from a Local Source" section or the "Upgrading from a Remote Source" section.

Upgrading from a Remote Source

To upgrade the software from a network location or remote server, use the following procedure.

Note Do  not use the browser controls, such as Refresh/Reload, while you are  accessing Cisco Unified Operating System Administration. Instead, use  the navigation controls that are provided by the interface.

Procedure

Step 1 Put the upgrade file on an FTP or SFTP server that the server that you are upgrading can access.

a. If you have a Cisco-provided upgrade disk, copy the contents of the disk to the remote server.

b. If you downloaded the upgrade files, copy the files you downloaded to the remote server.

Step 2 Log in to Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration.

Step 3 Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade.

The Software Installation/Upgrade window displays.

Step 4 From the Source list, choose Remote Filesystem.

Step 5 In the Directory field, enter the path to the directory that contains the patch file on the remote system.

If the upgrade file is located on a Linux or Unix server, you must enter  a forward slash at the beginning of the directory path. For example, if  the upgrade file is in the patches directory, you must enter /patches

If the upgrade file is located on a Windows server, remember that you  are connecting to an FTP or SFTP server, so use the appropriate syntax,  including

Begin the path with a forward slash (/) and use forward slashes throughout the path.

The  path must start from the FTP or SFTP root directory on the server, so  you cannot enter a Windows absolute path, which starts with a drive  letter (for example, C:).

Step 6 In the Server field, enter the server name or IP address.

Step 7 In the User Name field, enter your user name on the remote server.

Step 8 In the User Password field, enter your password on the remote server.

Step 9 Select the transfer protocol from the Transfer Protocol field.

Step 10 To disable throttling, check the Disable I/O throttling check box.

Caution Although disabling throttling decreases the time it takes to perform the upgrade, it may degrade system performance.

If you want to reenable throttling after you start the upgrade, you must  cancel the upgrade, reenable throttling, and then restart the upgrade.

Step 11 To continue the upgrade process, click Next.

Step 12 Choose the upgrade version that you want to install and click Next.

If you are upgrading from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.x or 7.x, the upgrade file has the extension sgn.iso.

Step 13 In the next window, monitor the progress of the download.

Note If  you lose your connection with the server or close your browser during  the upgrade process, you may see the following message when you try to  access the Software Upgrades menu again:

Warning: Another session is installing software, click Assume Control to take over the installation.

If you are sure you want to take over the session, click Assume Control.

If Assume Control does not display, you can also monitor the upgrade with the Cisco Unified Real Time Monitoring Tool.

Step 14 If you want to install the upgrade and automatically reboot to the upgraded partition, choose Reboot to upgraded partition. The system restarts and runs the upgraded software.

Step 15 If you want to install the upgrade and then manually reboot to the upgraded partition at a later time, do the following steps:

a. Choose Do not reboot after upgrade.

b. Click Next.

The Upgrade Status window displays the Upgrade log.

c. When the installation completes, click Finish.

d. To restart the system and activate the upgrade, choose Settings > Version; then, click Switch Version.

The system restarts and is running the upgraded software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_3/cucm-rel_notes-803a.html#wp1776144

Here's the path on CCO;

Cheers!

Rob

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

If you have a Mac or Linux machine to hand, you can put the DVD in the machines drive, then do something like:

$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/cucm.iso bs=1m

(The exact path of /dev/cdrom will depend on your machine & O/S.)

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi Rob, I'm doing well trying to finish up this upgrade.

But yeah those are the files I was really after, however, through PUT we only got the physical CDs and not eDelivery.

Where would I go (using my Cisco account) to download these UCS files instead for 8.0?

Thank you!

-rya

Hi,

yuou can easily download this from  Software Download page on Cisco.com. Navigate you way to voice/unified communications..navigate to CUCM download section and you will see the files there

Please rate useful posts

"I am complete in God, God completes me"

Please rate all useful posts

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rya,

Good stuff

From Tools and Resources - Software Downloads;

Here's the path on CCO;

Downloads Home

Products

Voice and Unified Communications

IP Telephony

Unified Communications Platform

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 8.0

Cheers!

Rob

Ugh.  I didn't even think to check for the 8.0 Upgrade ISO files on CCO. 

But yeah they were right there and worked liked a charm.  I now have CCM 8.0(3) installed to the inactive partition.

Thanks for the help, again!

(note: I rewarded points for all.  I do appreciate it!)

-rya

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: