Views
Helpful
Replies

CP-8851-K9 Dies / Failure to boot.

EngErl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Very new to this forum, but just wanted to ask if anyone else have encountered similar issues with this device and what their end result/solution was.

In April+- we had 2-4 phones that suddenly died in the same location "ish", mix between 7960 and 8851. Connected to same switch and using PoE. Some of them did not boot at all, no reaction whatsoever completely dead. Last of them had issues with some buttons malfunctioning mainly 5 or 7 or both.

Phones replaced with a new 8851. 

3 months later the same thing happens, same location, same switch etc. Some phones died while others had buttons malfunctioning.

And now present day, almost 3 months later, same thing, like 5+ phones. All dead or similar issues. 

Could this be related to power cycle, power outage or short-circuit of some kind? And is it possible to find logs somewhere of whats happening to the device?

Might be related that some 79xx had this issue: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/637/fn63772.html

5 Replies 5

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sound to me more of your switch' power issue, rather than the phones issue. Have you considered replacing your switch with another one?

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Yes, It definitely points towards the switch having issues, as to if its a power issue I don't know "yet". The switch is owned/controlled by 3rd party, so we can't do much regarding that, as they have previously reported "no issues" on their end, but that might be a wrong/old report.

Just wanted to see if anyone else have had the issue on 88xx series, due to the power cycle issue on 79xx. And would think that it does not really matter what phone it is, if its a faulty switch. 

Would be nice if I could find logs from these phone of a crash/warnings that might indicate if its related to a power issues or not. 

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We had a number of these fail "white screen" or fail to boot when used with some Plantronics headsets plugged into the back headset port. I'm going to guess there is/was maybe inadequate protection on those lines into some chip on the board. That seems to not be a problem for us any longer, but, it has happened.

The 7900 issues on a lot of the hardware was based on bad flash components, they haven't made any statement that this is an issue with the 8800s and I haven't seen a failure rate at my shop that would reflect such a thing. There's been a handful with failed flash or lost MIC or whatever but they've been reliable so far.

EngErl
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

We've just lost another two 8851 at this location. (Removing some information from RTMT logs)

One of them had this: ReasonForOutOfService=10 and both of them had StatusReason: DirectoryNumberMismatch.

To make an example: Phone A is the who had ReasonForOutOfService=10, Phone A not logs found yet, but same status reason.

We went out to check Phone A, phone was unregistered, couldn't connect to network and 3 buttons were not working, 3,6 and 9.

AltSyslog: 01:46:31 DeviceTLInfo: Trust List Files are updated or installed. 01:46:31: LastOutOfServiceInformation with reason 10. 01:50:36:  EndPointUnregistered: : [Reason=13][IPAddrAttributes=0][LastSignalReceived=SIPStationDPrimaryLineTimeout] An endpoint has unregistered and it's Last thing the logs showed. Phone stays unregistered, but still receives power.

Phone B: We the room next to Phone A I war curious and went to check it. Did some simple testing onsite, pushing buttons, calling etc, works as intended. I put the handset down, wait 1-2 minutes, checking phone A etc. I back to Phone B to redo the simple test. This time nothing works. Lifting the handle no reaction and no reaction from buttons, phone seems to still be registered. We do a quick plug out and plug in with the PoE cable, and phone dies. No lights nothing happens. 

We had a report back from 3rd party techs couple a days before this event, their report says no errors or problems found regarding switch etc.

So for now atleast I am clueless to whats happening to the phones, I keep a close eye on the phones to see if we can spot when and how it happens, but for me it seems like the buttons starts malfunctioning then the phone just dies. 

If anyone has any similar episodes to this let me know what you found out. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: