cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC Upgrade to an Engineering Special

maeswara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My Customer is running on CUC  8.6.2.24089-2. As a part of a bug fix I have suggested them for an upgrade to an ES.

I want to understand the risks of upgrading to an ES and why is an ES release always avoided for upgrade recommendation?.

there seems to be no workaround for the bug, so what all heads up I should give my customer before upgrade?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There are no specific risks in upgrading to an ES. Yes, the ES is not so rigorously tested as compared to a SU but it does not affect your upgrade process. If there is a SU available for the bug fix then you can apply the same, else you can go for ES. You can check the following discussion on similar question here

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11550876/cucm-engineering-specials

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There are no specific risks in upgrading to an ES. Yes, the ES is not so rigorously tested as compared to a SU but it does not affect your upgrade process. If there is a SU available for the bug fix then you can apply the same, else you can go for ES. You can check the following discussion on similar question here

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11550876/cucm-engineering-specials

HTH

Manish

Thank you for the help!!

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Manish is spot on (+5), the ESes are built to address specific important bug(s) and made available by TAC only.  It's also true they do not go through extensive system testing, so there is a slight risk that another new bug can be introduced. You need to wight out your options, is the issues you are addressing big enough to warrant installation of an ES.  

P.S. I've installed many ES versions over the years without ever recalling an issue.

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

I'll just add a note to the good tips from my friends Manish & Chris (+5 each!)

It looks like the CUC version the customer is running is already an ES or at least not a version that was released on CCO. I would think if you are concerned about having them install an ES that the latest SU (8.6(2a)su5)  would likely incorporate the bug fix you are looking for.

Like the others noted, we've run many ES's over the years without issue.

Cheers!

Rob

Rob and Chris, thanks for the additional and useful inputs as usual.

Manish