Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.x Announciator audio file format

LRHIT_CCO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i want to use a custom announcement (Custom_05007) in CUCM 8.6.1a.

But every time i upload an file i get "The .wav file could not be translated by the Audio Translator Application".

I tried 16-bit PCM (stereo/mono) with 32,16 and 8 KHz sampling rate. No success.

I did RTFM, but was not able to find that information.

Could someone please explain which audio file format is to be used for the announciator?

Thanks.

regards

Jörg

14 Replies 14

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Announciator should be G711, so PCM 8 bit, 8 khz, mono sampling should work,

Chris

Try rebooting the publisher. I just had this issue on 10.5 and I had to reboot to get rid of the message. 

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jorg,

Just to add a note to the good info from Chris (+5 my friend )

Here's the excerpt from the docs;

Like music on hold audio source files, the recommended format for announcements includes the following specifications:

16-bit PCM wav file

Stereo or mono

Sample rates of 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 32 kHz, 16 kHz, or 8 kHz

If you upload customized announcements, you must upload the announcement on each node in the cluster; that is, the announcement files do not get propagated between servers in a cluster, so you must browse into Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration on each server in the cluster and repeat the upload process.

If you upload customized announcements, you must configure annunciator to handle the announcements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmcfg/b04announce.html#wp1029434

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob and Chris,

thanks for your reply.

But, as i wrote before, i tried installing a WAV-file PCM 16bit 8kHz mono (and stereo and 16kHz and 32kHz).

I even tried it just now again - just to be sure ....

CUCM gives me the same error message all the time.

"The .wav file could not be translated by the Audio Translator Application"

I could not make an 8-bit PCM file, because my audio application is only capable of 16,24 and 32-bit sampling rate (audacity).

I have to find another on to check this.

Maybe the audio file is not the reason of that failure.

best regards

Jörg

Any update on this, I have the same issue in CUCM 9.0.

Wav file is uploaded as MOH file and it works, it also works in CCX but uploading as announcement does not work.

Any suggestion or BUG notice is very much welcome!

Thank you guys

Hi Christian,

There is this 9.0 bug;

CSCty70525 - upload .wav file for announcement failed

Description

Symptom:
upload .wav file as announcement failed
Conditions:
N/A
Workaround:
N/A

Details

First Found in:                          (1)

9.0(0.99071.5)

Fixed

Last Modified:

Nov 03,2012

Fixed in:                          (5)

9.0(1.10000.37),9.0(1.10000.15),9.0(0.98000.32)

9.0(0.98000.122),1.0(0.98000.42)

Product:

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)

Platform:

Dependent

Severity:

3 - moderate

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

thanks Rob, your comments are always helpful. Next time I check the bug toolkit in more detail.

Hi Christian,

You are most welcome my friend

Sometimes finding these bugs is like finding a needle in a haystack, so

don't feel bad.

I've been using the new/beta Bug Search Tool, maybe give it a try.

https://www.cisco.com/cisco/psn/bssprt/bss

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

cmcclinton
Level 4
Level 4

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

I am seeing the same error message on a 9.1.1a system that was upgraded from 8.6.

There is nothing wrong with the audio files as they upload and convert fine on a lab 9.1.1.a system. But any files uploaded on the production system result in the "The .wav file could not be translated by the Audio Translator Application." error message.

For me this turned out to be bug CSCua90744 "Folder for custom announcements has wrong permissions"

The folder where custom announcements get uploaded has the wrong permissions set at the OS level so the files can't be uploaded and written to disk.

As the fix for this requires changes to the folder permissions a TAC case needs to be raised so that they can escalate and arrange remote access to the Linux OS to make the changes.

Karel Wesdijk
Level 1
Level 1

I have this issue on 10.0.1.129000-2. Tried different formats, file is accepted as music on hold audio file but not as announcement.

Tried on publisher and subscriber (with MoH service active) still no luck.

The bugs reported in this topic should be fixed in this release.

[Edit the day after]

Tried uploading it to a different CUCM Cluster (10.0.1.10000) and the same file works flawlessly.

I have same issue on 9.1.2,  does anyone know solution?

Yes, create a TAC, problem is a known bug with wrong folder permissions. Root access is needed to resolve this and only TAC can do this.

This is really bad news, i don't have service contract for this project, all devices donated by Cisco. Any workaround?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: