cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Dilemma

Naveen Gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Don't have much knowledge with Cisco CUCM solution. The customer implemented CUCM solution and they are having issues and the soultion offered is what I am not convienced with.

"We Move / Add Extenstions / Change offices everytime. The phone numbers is integral to our identity and should not be changed. Our IT wants us to take the phones with us everytime we move. It does not look like a viable solution as there are folks who are at Director and VP level. "

What are some of the options in CUCM which we can avail so that that process is as simple as 1-2-3 with some clicks on the backend. Can we not move the current user profile to his new physical phone? keeping his phone number and everything else the same?

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look into device mobility feature which basically ties phone to a location via IP subnet and when phone is moved from one location to anther it will use local resources, i.e. local media resources, local GW, proper codec, etc if configured properly. No admin overhead needed with this.

Since this is IP solution phone extensions always go with the phone.

HTH,

Chris

We DON'T want the person physically taking the phones with them to their new location.

The new lication will always have a phone available for them to use. We just want to make sure that their extension and user profile is updated on this new phone.

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Sounds like Extension Mobility is what you need.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Correct, Extension Mobility will let a user log onto any phone and the user's extension and other settings carry over to the phone for the duration of login.

Chris

This was discussed, but IT thought that there is a risk and security concern of the user not being logging out himself and keep the session open.

Any other way/idea ... what if the user don't want to login?

You can setup EM automatic logout timer.

Not sure what else are you looking for, the only alternative would be to reconfigure the phone each time someone else takes over, but that is a daunting process and would not make a good solution.

What are they doing today on their current system and how do they envision it working?

Chris

If extension mobility is not what you want, because of security concern, then there aren't any way that won't involve backend admin work. But let me ask you a question about the stated concern about security, whats the difference to have fixed configured phones or always logged in EM profiles? Either way the phones would be assessable to anyone with physical access to the device.

The change that would be needed on the backend would be to change the MAC on the old phone device to the MAC of the new. That would "move" the DN to the new device. Apart from this user device association would also be needed to be updated.

Please remember to rate all useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Naveen,

I'll just add a note to the good tips from Chris and GTG (+5 guys )

As Chris noted, it's not as easy as 1-2-3 clicks to move people and their numbers

between phones. But it is certainly possible and we do it quite often.

If Naveen is @ 6320 on 7945 mac aaabbbcccddd

& Rob is @ 7777 on 7945 mac bbbcccdddaaa

and they were switching offices. You can go to aaabbbcccddd

change the description to Rob, DN to 7777, display/alerting name portion that doesn't populate

with the DN change to Rob etc.

then go to bbbcccdddaaa change the description to Naveen, DN to 6320,

display/alerting name portion that doesn't populate with the DN change to Naveen etc.

Not that easy....but doable

or

change the mac for Naveen to a phantom mac like cccdddbbbaaa - save/reset

change the mac for Rob to Naveen's old mac aaabbbcccddd - save/reset

change naveen fro the phantom mac cccdddbbbaaa to Rob's old mac bbbcccdddaaa - save/reset

You just have to keep good records when moving people like this or you'll get yourself

in a real mess

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen