Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 6.0 to 9.x

Hi,

I would like to know the procedure for cucm upgrade from 6.0 to 9.1.2 moreover we are also migrating from 7815 mcs servers to ucs platform.

Now if we do the migratioin for cucm publisher how to do the migration for the subscribers.

Any help would be really appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

just the publisher and fresh copy of the subscribers and let them sync and replicate then.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

Hi Malik,

you do not take the separate backup of Subscribers.the backup is taken for whole cluster from DRS.

in your case of migration, there won't be any backup. The data gets migrated from 6 to 9 while u do upgradation.

Once the cluster is build on 9, all changes/config get replicated to Subscribers provided DB Replication is fine.

to be on safe side, u can take backup of call manager 6.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi MAlik,

check this recent discussion on similar topic.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4140427#4140427

regds,

aman

Theres nothing mentioned for subscribers???

ump upgrade 9.1.2 - field tested procedure

VERSION 6                  Click to view document history

You will need to email licensing@cisco.com to obtain the bootable version of the latest SU of whatever version you're upgrading to in step 1, and the bootable  version of 9.1.2. In my case they confirmed that our contract number  covered the upgrade and then THEY opened a case with TAC for me, who  then provided me with both ISOs.

1. Upgrade to the latest SU of 6.1.4, 6.1.5, 7.1.3 or 7.1.5. These can be downloaded from the Cisco website.
  2. Create a CUCM VM using the 9.1.2 ova file found here (don’t power on at creation): http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284510097&catid=278875240&softwareid=283088407&release=9.1(1)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest
  3. Change the OS on the VM to RedHat 3 (32 bit), then power on
  4. Install  the same CUCM version as your current hardware (6.1.4, 6.1.5, 7.1.3 or  7.1.5) as a VM with the bootable version you got from TAC into the OVA  you created in step 2.
  5. Apply the COP refresh patch to the VM found here: http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284510097&catid=278875240&softwareid=282204704&release=COPFiles&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest
  6. DRS from your hardware version to the VM you just created
  7. Reboot
  8. Upgrade to 9.1.2 (with run new version) with the non-bootable iso found here: http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284510097&catid=278875240&softwareid=282074295&release=9.1(2)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest
  9. Shutdown when complete, change OS to RedHat 5 (32 bit), boot up
  10. Build a fresh 9.1.2 VM using the same OVA in step 2 with the bootable 9.1.2 that you obtained from TAC.
  11. DRS from the Upgraded 9.1.2 to the fresh 9.1.2
  12. Reboot
  13. Resolve licensing within 60 days

Step  11 is due to the incompatible version being VM’d in step 4, it causes  “partition mis-alignment” and puts it outside of Cisco support if you  leave it that way.

Isolating your VMs…

This  is messy because you essentially have 3 versions of Call Manager  running. 1 on hardware, 1 VM that matches your hardware version that  gets upgraded to 9.1.2, and 1 that is the fresh install of 9.1.2. All VMs MUST be able to contact NTP during the install phase!

Here is what I did:

1. I  installed my 6.1.4 VM (in step 4) onto a valid subnet that was fully  routable. You’re correct in assuming this did NOT match the IPs of the  hardware instance. This allowed me to get past the NTP and Gateway  issues during the install.
  2. I then powered off the hardware  instance and changed the IPs/VLAN of the VM to be where its supposed to  be. Here is the official Cisco procedure for changing IPs: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094601.shtml
  3. Then I restored 6.1.4 into my VM, and did the jump upgrade as found in steps 6 through 9.
  4. Then I did a DRS backup of the jumped 9.1.2 VM and shut it down.
  5. Then you build a fresh 9.1.2 VM using the correct IPs and restore the DRS backup from the jumped 9.1.2.

I  know that 6.1.x will give you the option of not using NTP. IF YOU DO  THIS, THE INSTALL WILL FAIL RIGHT AT THE VERY END OF THE JUMP UPGRADE  WITH A SCRIPT ERROR, APPROX 2-3 HOURS INTO THE UPGRADE.

Best Regards

Hi Malik,

the procedure of upgradation of Subscriber almost remains same.

Anything specific u are looking for ?

regds,

aman

so do i need to backup all the subscribers and restore the same on each step or should i be just migrating publisher and then installing fresh copy of 9.1.2 on subscribers then they will sync with the publisher???

just the publisher and fresh copy of the subscribers and let them sync and replicate then.

Best Regards

Hi Malik,

you do not take the separate backup of Subscribers.the backup is taken for whole cluster from DRS.

in your case of migration, there won't be any backup. The data gets migrated from 6 to 9 while u do upgradation.

Once the cluster is build on 9, all changes/config get replicated to Subscribers provided DB Replication is fine.

to be on safe side, u can take backup of call manager 6.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: