Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC/CIPC Audio Quality

UCM 6.1(3), CUP 6.0(2), CUPC 7.0(2) and CIPC 7.0(2) clients.

In short: audio quality from CIPC is perfect, CUPC (in softphone mode) is poor/choppy. Same codec on both calls. Any ideas?

8 Replies 8

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this Vista? If so there is problem with CUPC marking the DSCP value on packets: CSCsl50789.

Hi,

I'm also getting audio issues with CUPC, the poor quality is expereinced in one direction, from me to the person I've called. I can hear the person clearly they can't. I'm running CUPC on windows XP.

Is anybody else having the same issue?

Anybody know how it can be fixed?

Hi

Audio quality issues are most likely to be caused by :

1) You using a poor quality headset, or worse - laptop built-in speaker and MIC.

2) Network conditions - what are you running the conversation over?

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for the reply Aaron,

I have the same issue over the office LAN and over VPN connection (provided by AOL) into my office . Every time I can hear the person I'm talking to very clearly; the person I'm talking to gets a very poor quality speech.

I have tried two different headsets. My own feeling is that the issue is with my laptop build.

Do you have (or have you had) any audio quality issues when you have made calls from CUPC soft phone?

Gurmakh

Hi

I have all sorts of problems with mine, but mainly because I don't have a headset and my laptops' ears are too close to it's mouth. I only use softphones for testing really so I don't worry about it.

A quick way to verify if it's an endpoint problem (speaker/mic etc) or a network problem would be to dial an IP phone at the far end, and then get them to press ? quickly twice to review the call-in-progress stats. Look at the jitter/loss characteristics, and if they don't look bad then it's likely to be your laptop/headset config.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

lochinvar
Level 1
Level 1

i had the same problem with poor audio over vpn you will need to create a rule not to inspect skinny protocal coming from your vpn network.

Hi,

the bad audio quality could be caused by the following Bug: CSCtc02457. Does anybody know when this Bug will be fixed?

/Robert

Old post of mine, but to the best of my recollection it's still a problem. I've been cursing my HP laptop thinking it was, well HP's fault - as it doesn't happen on my Mac sitting 2 feet away on the same network, etc. using CUPC. Nonetheless it sounds like you identified a good bug match on this one. I'd much prefer using CUPC on my office laptop, but the voice quality has made it unuseable.

I guess we'll stay tuned...

Brian