Views
Helpful
Replies

CUWL License - Extension Mobility

mikee2112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

We have a customer who we are rolling out CUCM 10.5. They have bought CUWL licensing for all users as they will be having multiple devices attached to each user, CuciLync, Jabber Voice etc. They will also be using Extension Mobility. I know this is no longer a licensed feature but my question is, as the users will not have a fixed phone (they move about a lot and will just log into which ever phone they are near) I can see the only way to license this, is to assign a phone to every user even though they have no permanent fixed phone, as in selecting the Owner radio button on the phone page?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Basically:

- A user with EM, and no devices owned will not consume a license.

- A phone with no owner will use a license.

- If you set a phone as 'owned' by that EM user, the EM user and phone will 'share' a license.

So in those three scenarios, you use only one license in each case. That's fine for EM.

Where it gets more complex is that if a user has a Jabber, or other softphone. If you have an orphaned EM phone, and a user with Jabber, they will both use a license.

So in that case you economise by linking the user's desk phone (if they have one) to the user as well. This would be one  (perhaps higher-tier, e.g. CUWL Std, or Enh+) license.

Lots of places, employees do have their 'own' desk even if they have EM capability. I'd link the phone on the desk to the user in that case.

If you genuinely have a setup where phones are definitely hot desk/EM/non owned only, and have lots of Jabber etc, then you'll have to consider what is a) practical and b) meets the licensing conditions I guess.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mike,

Since you have CUWL licenses, I would suggest you associate all the devices the user can use to one End user in CUCM (Select owner user id on the device page to the same user) so that upto 10 devices will consume only one CUWL std license.

If you want to use user based license then an extension mobility user needs one Essential license will be consumed.

Youl could refer the below document which explains in detail how the licenses will be consumed.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/117600-technote-cucm-00.html#anc3

HTH,

Rajan

Please rate useful posts

Thanks for the answers guys, it was as I suspected, I was kind of hoping that there was some way of not having to select the owner for a phone as this is not very practical if using EM, maybe in the future it may dynamically assign based on when a user logs in :)

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Basically:

- A user with EM, and no devices owned will not consume a license.

- A phone with no owner will use a license.

- If you set a phone as 'owned' by that EM user, the EM user and phone will 'share' a license.

So in those three scenarios, you use only one license in each case. That's fine for EM.

Where it gets more complex is that if a user has a Jabber, or other softphone. If you have an orphaned EM phone, and a user with Jabber, they will both use a license.

So in that case you economise by linking the user's desk phone (if they have one) to the user as well. This would be one  (perhaps higher-tier, e.g. CUWL Std, or Enh+) license.

Lots of places, employees do have their 'own' desk even if they have EM capability. I'd link the phone on the desk to the user in that case.

If you genuinely have a setup where phones are definitely hot desk/EM/non owned only, and have lots of Jabber etc, then you'll have to consider what is a) practical and b) meets the licensing conditions I guess.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!