cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial tone after first two digits are dialed

Yort Mantup
Level 4
Level 4

I was just made aware that one of our sites when dialing out (local, LD, TF, etc) receives dial tone after dialing the first two digits of any number.  They can continue to dial the number and will call out.  I am trying to understand where the dial tone is coming from after the 2nd digit is dialed.  Any idea's?

CUCM 8.5

2821 Gateway - MGCP - T1PRI

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It's a 'secondary dial tone'.

On your route patterns in CUCM, it can be ticked or not on each route pattern. When the dialled digits have narrowed down the potential matches to a subset of route patterns that all have it ticked, it plays out.

Check they're all configured consistently.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I absolutely agree with Aaron's statement that ALL route patterns need to have the 'provide outside dial tone' checked on all applicable route patterns.  I would also like to note that any dial plan overlap with those route patterns would also cause delay in secondary dial tone.

For example if you dial 9 to get out and a dial-able extension gets added accidentally to a phone that also starts with a 9, that could cause similar issues.

So after checking route patterns first and if all that looks correct, I recommend Call Routing -> Route Plan Report, to search for ALL numbers that start with your outside access code.

Thank you for the replies.  I am reviewing the patterns for this site and nothing sticks out showing an issue.  When I use the Dialed Number Analyzer tool to see the path for a call from that site, the result shows BlockThis Pattern. 

Found my issue.  Used the DNA tool but this time ran it using the sites gateway.  Pattern that came up was "XXXXX" and is in the All Phones partition.  Even more interesting is because it uses this pattern, it strips everything off except the last 5 digits which then become the called party number.  I am not sure how these calls are actually going out.  This site was put in place before my time here so there must be some reasoning behind this.... may have to check with carrier owner of this PRI to see how it's configured.

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

How did your site which suffers from this issue connected to CUCM ?? ( through FXS MGCP router or directly using IP-Phones). if IPphones, please identify the protocol ? I don't expect it as secondary dial tone cause Troy clarify above that this issue happens in ONE SITE. if its related to call route then it will appear in all sites.

Thanks

Nope, it CAN certainly only happen to only a site or a set of phones, it all comes down to what their CSS allows them to reach.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

That's correct Jaime, each call route has its own partition, CSS and provide outside tone chick box.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: