Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialling Cell Phones using Corporate Directory

rowdygardner
Level 1
Level 1

We are running CUCM with 8945 handsets.

When we search for an entry in our Corporate Directory (which is linked to Active Directory), it allows me to dial the entries extension number. The entry also has a cell phone number and a landline number, which don't seem to be dialable via the Corporate Directory.

How do I set up the Corporate Directory so that I can dial cell phone and landline numbers?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Yeah - what's odd about this is that CUCM does actually sync in the mobile number and a few other numbers. It just doesn't tell you about it, or show it in the CCMAdmin interface, or in the corporate directory.

One of the strengths of CUCM is that it is a very open and extensible system - it's possible to quite easily put together a directory that would show that information either from the CUCM DB, or direct from LDAP.

That strength can also be a weakness - as there are companies out there creating directory applications it kind of takes the pressure off Cisco to deliver some of the functionality that people might expect to be in the core product.

Here's a couple of suggestions for you, if you have some development ability, or if you want to push your Cisco partner into delivering something (i.e. if they promised you this capability):

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27750 - Great doc from Gergely showing how to create a directory using UCCX as a web server. You'd have to customise is to return the other numbers as well.

A long time ago I put together a simple classic-ASP based script to provide a directory for a customer. If you're not comfortable with UCCX this might be easier as a starting point:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2006400

Failing that there are countless vendors out there selling enhanced directories...

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use translation patterns to prefix the appropriate access code to the non dialable numbers. Eg if you dial 9 followed by the actual number then u can use xlation pattern to prefix 9 to these numbers

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate all useful posts

Thanks Aokaniawon. But i'm not sure how this helps. Our problem is that the only fields from AD that show up in a Corporate Directory Search are firstname, surname and extension.

In Active Directory I have my extension number 11148, my landline 612-9701-3249 and my cell phone 614-4844-8504. The only one that appears in the Corporate Directory of the 8945 handsets is the extension number 11148. So people can contact me on 11148 but they can't contact me on 612-9701-3249 or 614-4844-8504.

Please note we have many people who don't have an extension number, so they just show up with no number at all. They have landline and cell phone populated in AD but they cannot be contacted.

How can I get the landline and cell phone number to also appear in the corporate directory?

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Now I get you. Well the sad answer is you can't have multiple phone number entries populated from AD. When you do a
LDAP integration, you choose one field with which you will synchronize your phone numbers from AD. This can either be "iPhone or telephonenumber" field. You can only choose one of those AD attributes not both. The numbers you see in corporate directory is pulled from the AD attribute you have selected in your LDAP configuration. If any user does not have that field populated then they won't have any phone number entry in corporate directory

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi

Yeah - what's odd about this is that CUCM does actually sync in the mobile number and a few other numbers. It just doesn't tell you about it, or show it in the CCMAdmin interface, or in the corporate directory.

One of the strengths of CUCM is that it is a very open and extensible system - it's possible to quite easily put together a directory that would show that information either from the CUCM DB, or direct from LDAP.

That strength can also be a weakness - as there are companies out there creating directory applications it kind of takes the pressure off Cisco to deliver some of the functionality that people might expect to be in the core product.

Here's a couple of suggestions for you, if you have some development ability, or if you want to push your Cisco partner into delivering something (i.e. if they promised you this capability):

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27750 - Great doc from Gergely showing how to create a directory using UCCX as a web server. You'd have to customise is to return the other numbers as well.

A long time ago I put together a simple classic-ASP based script to provide a directory for a customer. If you're not comfortable with UCCX this might be easier as a starting point:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2006400

Failing that there are countless vendors out there selling enhanced directories...

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Excellent Post AAron!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: