cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Emergency Responder - support for Catalyst 2960-L switches?

citybett1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at using some Catalyst 2960-L with the Lan Lite IOS for various things on my network and purchased one to test with etc....   It doesn't appear that any version of the Cisco Emergency Responder supports Phone Tracking on these switches, and when I try to have the CER discover the switch ports I get an error in the log saying the switch is unsupported.  Does anyone know if Cisco is planning on adding support for these switches, or are they purposely being excluded from working with this feature in CER to get customers to buy the Catalyst 2960-X series instead? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

I just wanted to add a note to the good tips from Chris and Maren (+5 each)

There is a bug/enhancement related to this issue with some "fixed-in" CER versions;

Switch Support For All C2960L Series Switches In CER 11.5
CSCvf16332

Symptom:
Add support for all the WS-C2960L Series Switches in CER 11.5 and the OID of the switch is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2365

Conditions:
Any WS-C2960L Series Switch not currently supported as shown in the release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/11_5_1/english/release_notes/guide/CER_BK_C838747F_00_cisco-emergency-responder-version-1151.html#CER_CN_S2CF6164_00

Known Fixed Releases:
(5)
CER.12.5(0.98000.70)
CER.12.5(0.98000.22)
CER.12.5(0.96000.9)
CER.11.5(4.40000.5)
CER.10.5(1.23000.8)

Cheers!
Rob

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately this is common occurrence with CER when it's behind of supporting newer switches. Your options are going to be to wait until the switch is supported with CER, or use subnet based tracking if possible.

Which exact model do you have, as according to CER 12.0 release notes 2960 different L models are supported:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/12_0_1/english/release_notes/guide/cer0_b_cisco-emergency-responder-release-notes-1201.html#concept_661798F96AD1BA8846063D0DE7D97C34

Thanks Chris for the reply, I appreciate it.  My specific switch is model WS-C2960L-48PS-LL

Looking at the release notes for CER 12.0.1 I don't see any of the 2960-L series, but maybe I'm overlooking them.  I know the 2960-L is somewhat new, press release from November 2016 about it anyway.  So I figured a year and a half would be enough time for it to be supported in some release of CER.  

You're right, I don't see them, as I said this is very common for CER and you can hope perhaps next release with include them.  

A similar question was asked about a different switch model a couple of months ago in this thread:

When will 3560CX switches be fully CER compatible?

Money Quote which worked for the original poster:

Those switches are not natively supported because they respond with the wrong OID which freaks out CER.  Here is the command you need to issue for the work around:

“no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid”

Thanks Maren for the suggestion, that gives me something else to look at.  I appreciate it!   Unfortunately for me "no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid" isn't a valid configuration option on my WS-C2960L-48PS-LL (sysobjectid isn't a valid parameter).  I'll have to see if maybe the parameters have changed in IOS 15 or something.  I'm running the newest IOS for the switch, 15.2(6)E1.  

Here are the valid parameters for no snmp-server on my switch.

switch(config)#no snmp-server ?
  accounting        SNMP Accounting parameters
  cache             Enable SNMP cache
  chassis-id        String to uniquely identify this chassis
  community         Enable SNMP; set community string and access privs
  contact           Text for mib object sysContact
  context           Create/Delete a context apart from default
  drop              Silently drop SNMP packets
  enable            Enable SNMP Traps
  engineID          Configure a local or remote SNMPv3 engineID
  file-transfer     File transfer related commands
  group             Define a User Security Model group
  host              Specify hosts to receive SNMP notifications
  ifindex           Enable ifindex persistence
  inform            Configure SNMP Informs options
  ip                IP ToS configuration for SNMP traffic
  location          Text for mib object sysLocation
  manager           Modify SNMP manager parameters
  packetsize        Largest SNMP packet size
  password-policy   SNMP v3 users password policy
  queue-length      Message queue length for each TRAP host
  source-interface  Assign an source interface
  spi               Configs for SNMP communication using SPI
  system-shutdown   Enable use of the SNMP reload command
  tftp-server-list  Limit TFTP servers used via SNMP
  trap              SNMP trap options
  trap-source       Assign an interface for the source address of all traps
  trap-timeout      Set timeout for TRAP message retransmissions
  user              Define a user who can access the SNMP engine
  view              Define an SNMPv3 MIB view

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

I just wanted to add a note to the good tips from Chris and Maren (+5 each)

There is a bug/enhancement related to this issue with some "fixed-in" CER versions;

Switch Support For All C2960L Series Switches In CER 11.5
CSCvf16332

Symptom:
Add support for all the WS-C2960L Series Switches in CER 11.5 and the OID of the switch is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2365

Conditions:
Any WS-C2960L Series Switch not currently supported as shown in the release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/11_5_1/english/release_notes/guide/CER_BK_C838747F_00_cisco-emergency-responder-version-1151.html#CER_CN_S2CF6164_00

Known Fixed Releases:
(5)
CER.12.5(0.98000.70)
CER.12.5(0.98000.22)
CER.12.5(0.96000.9)
CER.11.5(4.40000.5)
CER.10.5(1.23000.8)

Cheers!
Rob

+5 Rob for nice find.

Thanks Rob for finding bug/enhancement ID CSCvf16332.  That's a better answer than I got from Cisco TAC, who basically answered back that no CER release supports my switch. 

I don't even see any of the fixed releases mentioned in CSCvf16332 as available for download, so they must be REALLY new.  I'll wait for the fixed releases to appear, and workaround the issue for now by just manually setting the ERL for each affected phone.  

If anyone has any other suggestions for getting it working without having to upgrade my CER version (like the fix mentioned to make the 3560-CX work) I appreciate any information.  

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this, you were all helpful and I appreciate it.  +5 for each post

Anyone know if Cisco is ever going to add the OIDs for the various Catalyst 2960-L switches to the Emergency Responder?     Despite what the Bug ID CSCvf16332 says about support, they still aren't supported in general.  I'm running CER 11.5.4.50000-6 which is newer than the 11.5 version mentioned in the Bug ID, and my WS-C2960L-48PS-LL switches still aren't supported.  It doesn't look like they are supported in CER 11.5.4.60000-5 either which was just released a couple days ago.

The OID of the WS-2960L-48PS-LL appears to be 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2367

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: