Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Create a Call Queue?

gibberling
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

Under our current setup, we can put someone on hold and they listen to hold music while we answer a call on another line. We have a Helpdesk number that rings multiple phones. What I would like is some kind of call queue where if there are more than three active calls, the fourth call is put into a queue. Is there a way to do this from Cisco Call Manager?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The way that Native Call Queuing works is that the members of a hunt (one or more line groups) will be rung. Once one or more line group members are on a call and hunting becomes exhausted, the next inbound call will be queued. So it's not so much 'once three calls are active', calls are queued rather than rolling to voicemail (or other final forwarding behavior).

The queue depth has to do with how many calls will be held with music (after an announcement) before the queue is considered full and the next inbound call after that will roll to voicemail/other as configured.

Anything more sophisticated would require a contact center application.

Maren

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you have a current version, yes, google: cucm queue calls

and you'll get all you need.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jamie,

Cucm Call Queue

I'm looking under Step 10 Queue calls and I see "Maximum Number of Callers allowed in Queue". That's useful but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a place that lets us start the queue when a certain number of phone lines are active?  Example: Three people are actively on a call so the fourth call goes to a queue?

The way that I imagine this working is all helpdesk phones are rung as per usual unless there are 3 or more active lines, in which case it is sent to a queue. Once a there are less than three active lines, the first person in the queue is allowed through and the helpdesk phones ring.

The way that Native Call Queuing works is that the members of a hunt (one or more line groups) will be rung. Once one or more line group members are on a call and hunting becomes exhausted, the next inbound call will be queued. So it's not so much 'once three calls are active', calls are queued rather than rolling to voicemail (or other final forwarding behavior).

The queue depth has to do with how many calls will be held with music (after an announcement) before the queue is considered full and the next inbound call after that will roll to voicemail/other as configured.

Anything more sophisticated would require a contact center application.

Maren

Thank you Maren! Right now we have five phones that ring when a number is called. How should this be setup so that when three of the phones are busy the call is sent to a queue? 

We do want all of the phones to ring when someone calls. I know that probably sounds odd, but we juggle desks around alot and people are in and out of the office. So that isn't an ability we want to lose. I'm confused about how to set it up so that it stops forwarding to all of the phones when three phones are busy. I could add invididual phones to the hunt group but I don't want indivudal phones to ring. 

If it is the same DN on all five phones, you could set the Busy Trigger for the DN to 3. A fourth incoming call to that DN would get Busy behavior, which would send it to the queue. That's how it works for normal incoming calls and I *believe* that is how it works for hunted calls, too, but I haven't tested that in my lab so I can't say for certain.

If it is five different DNs in the Line Group, I don't know of any way to do what you are asking without a Contact Center application.

Maren