Views
Helpful
Replies

InitMMAppletInstance failed to get instance

khaliquzzama2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to click Play/record button on Cisco Unity 9.1 , i am getting above subjected Error.

I am using Windows 7,Also tried to degrade the JAVA version 6 update 7 , even though it's not working.

Can some one help me here to fix this issue.

Regards

Zama

27 Replies 27

Hi Diana

Unfortunately no - even using Firefox Portable. The only way I have been able to do anything related to audio on Unity Connection is to install the IBM OpenAdmin Tool for Informix and Unity Connection Audio Text Manager

Everything you need can be found here with some very informative videos from Jeff Lindborg. http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/ATM/ATM.html

If I ever crack the issue, I'll post the resolution here but I'm at the point now where I think I need to rebuild my desktop PC and  that is no small undertaking.

Audio Text Manager takes a little bit of getting used to and Jeff Lindborg's videos are well worth some of your time.

All the best

Rich

Thanks for the feedback Rich.  I'll give it a go.

If I find a resolution for this, I'll make sure to post it on here as well.

Cheers,

Diana

Howdy,

Have figured out a solution to this problem (initMMApplet: InitMMAppletInstance Failed to get instance) that actually works and will display your applet correctly.

The key issue is that the problem lies with no just the Java version, it is also is to do with the browser version.

Step 1: Download and install Java 7 Update 51, 32 Bit. You’re looking for the heading “Java SE Runtime Environment 7u51” on this page http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase7-521261.html with the file name jre-7u51-windows-i586.exe (Windows x86 Offline). Install it.

Step 2: Download and install Firefox ESR. This is in addition to your current version of Firefox. Basically, you’re installing another Firefox instance just to use for Unity. Install into a different directory (ie. Program Files\OldFirefox). When you install it, go for a Start Menu shortcut only. Now you’ll have two shortcuts in your Start Menu. One will just say Firefox, which is your latest version. One will say Mozilla Firefox. That is this special ESR version. You want version 52.7.3 (32 bit). Get it from here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/ (It is English UK, 32 Bit).

That’s it. Open up Mozilla Firefox (Not your latest version of Firefox, the old one you just installed), go to Unity, accept all security warnings etc, ensure you don’t update the Java version, and it will be working.

Most of the guides on the web for this error focus on Step 1, but they don’t talk about Step 2, which is what I was missing.

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing, unfortunately that workaround didn't work for me.  I'm getting the same error as before.  I even tried adding the Unity IP address under the java configuration > Security >Exception lists and same error.  

Best Regards,

Diana 

When you open up the new Firefox (Mozilla Firefox) and go about:plugins in the address bar, does it list a Java Plugin version and details in there?

Hi David,

Yes, when navigating to about:plugins in Firefox (ESR version 52.7.3 - 32bit).   I do see the following 2 java listings;

Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U51

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.510.13

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Diana

My only suggestion would be to uninstall both, reload and only reinstall this one...

Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U51

But other than that, it should work in theory. You're on the same settings/versions as me.

Oh and be certain that you're running Firefox ESR if you have two versions installed on your computer. Just use the "about" after you open up Firefox to make sure it is running the ESR variant.

Hi David

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately this didn't work for me either. The only variations is that I'm running a 64 bit OS and so downloaded Firefox ESR for 64 bit windows. The Java version is as you suggest.

If I try an access Unity Connection using IE, the errors are a little more verbose and indicate certificate issues that I need to look into further. Interestingly, the dialogue box lists Java 1.8.0_162 as the issue even though I have disabled it in the Java console and only left 1.5 update 51 enabled. 

The next thing to do is, as you have suggested, is uninstall all versions bar 1.7 update 51 but I think our security policy and centralised patch management will re-install it on the next reboot.

If that is the case, then Audio Text Manager (ATM) is my fall back. It takes a little bit of getting used to but its growing on me the more I use it. A big plus of ATM is that to can create new call handlers based on existing ones and have the greetings and caller input copied over. You used to be able to do this in Cisco Unity but its been removed in Cisco Unity Connection version 11.

Once again, thanks for your suggestions.

Best

Rich

Be sure to try the 32 bit version of FireFox ESR.

I am running a 64 bit OS, but installed the 32 bit version of FireFox ESR and Java because I wanted to maximise compatibility with Java in the interests of getting this solved.

Hi David

I've not made any further changes to Java or Firefox but I did upgrade our CUCM, CUC and IM&P servers over the weekend from 11.0.1.21900-11 to  11.5.1.14900-11. The media bar now works like a charm. Go figure!

All the best

Rich

This is working !     Good points !

dolphine55
Level 1
Level 1

I run into the same situation and read some articles, I did a lot of test , think I have found the answer to this problem. If you are still facing this issue, please let me know if follow steps can help you : 

Several aspects have to be met in order to meet the requirement of this feature.   

I tried in 2 different PC (64bit and 32 bit), tested till both work.  Here is what I have done to resolve my issue. 

1. downgrade Java from 1.8.x to 1.7.x (mine is 1.7.0, but I believe any in 1.7.x should be good)

2. Browser :   on 64 bit windows 7 PC , IE worked on media master , but have saving problem.     So my final direction was to go back to Firefox.   Version 63 firefox is not working as it can not enable java tm platform.   So I downgraded firefox to Version 52.x and below (my test is good on version 49.02 (32bit).   Please note , 64 bit does not work for me , because it does not have option to enable java tm Platform. 

To download older version of firwfox from  :  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

3. on Firefox , enable Java tm platform : 

firefox -->tools -->add-on --> plugins --> once you see "Java(TM) platform... "  activate it. 

Voila , I log back into Unity Connection on greeting , I am able to activate media mast on the page and do upload/download of the file. 

If you are having this issue and still searching solution , please give above steps a try -- it works for me. 

Cheers and Good luck !

Tina