Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS UPGRADATION IN CUCM CLUSTER

Sandipan Khatke
Level 1
Level 1

HI ,

I  am going to upgrade CUCM IOS ver from 7.0.2.20000-5 up to 7.1.5b(Su5) .  but at customer end two CUCM is configured in Cluster .

one is publiser & seconf is Subscriber .

I want to upgrade publisher from  7.0.2.20000-5 up to 7.1.5b(Su5) , after IOS UPgradation Publisher will be run on Latest upgraded version but i have not upgrade new IOS version  in Subscriber , Can Publisher (New IOS version 7.1.5b(Su5) ) synchronize with subscriber (Old version 7.0.2.20000-5).

Please share any document .

BR,

Sandipan

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sandipan,

Have a look at the Upgrade overview;

Overview of the Software Upgrade Process

With this version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you can  install upgrade software on your server while the system continues to  operate. Two partitions exist on your system: an active, bootable  partition and an inactive, bootable partition. The system boots up and  operates entirely on the partition that is marked as the active  partition.

Note If  you have users logging in and logging out of Cisco Extension Mobility,  this could cause the upgrade to fail. Before starting the upgrade, you  must disable the Cisco Extension Mobility service. For more information,  see the "Pre-Upgrade Tasks" section.

When you install upgrade software, you install the software on the  inactive partition. The system continues to function normally while you  are installing the software. When you are ready, you activate the  inactive partition and reboot the system with the new upgrade software.  The current active partition will then get identified as the inactive  partition when the system restarts. The current software remains in the  inactive partition until the next upgrade. Your configuration  information migrates automatically to the upgraded version in the active  partition.

When you upgrade a cluster, you start by upgrading the first node. You  can begin upgrading subsequent nodes in parallel after the first node  reaches a specified point in the upgrade, as described in the "Upgrading a Cluster in Parallel" section.

All servers in a cluster must run the same release of Cisco Unified  Communications Manager. The only exception is during a cluster software  upgrade, during which a temporary mismatch is allowed.

If for any reason you decide to back out of the upgrade, you can restart  the system to the inactive partition that contains the older version of  the software. However, any configuration changes that you made since  you upgraded the software will get lost.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/7_1_2/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1179728

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley

Hi Sandipan

could you pls  not open similar discussions twise

You have to ready the upgrade proceess and then to proceed with the upgrade

But for your referense PUB and SUB must have the same exactly version..

First upgrade PUB but do not switch the version to the upgrade partision

Then the upgrade version will be stay to the inactive partision

Second upgrade SUB but do not switch the version to the upgrade partision

Then the upgrade version will be stay to the inactive partision

Once you have finished with both servers then switch version , first to the PUB and then to the SUB.

when the PUB come back ,go with the SUB

Commands to verify the active and inactivy partisions:(active is the old version.Inactive should be the upgrade version)

admin:show version active

Active Master Version:7.0.2.20000-5

admin:show version inactive

Inactive Master Version: 7.1.5.31900-3

Then go to the PUB:

utils system switch-version

Wait for PUB to come up and then go with the SUB

utils system switch-version

Finish:

Regards

chrysostomos

Please rate all useful posts Regards Chrysostomos ""The Most Successful People Are Those Who Are Good At Plan B""

(I have post it and then i saw the great post from rob(5 stars mate)

Please rate all useful posts Regards Chrysostomos ""The Most Successful People Are Those Who Are Good At Plan B""

HI Chrysostomos,

Customer want to put following observation for two days when IOS ver is different as given below .

Such period can Both PUB & SUB synchronize ??

IN PUB

admin:show version active

Active Master Version:7.0.2.20000-5

IN SUB

admin:show version inactive

Active Master Version: 7.1.5.31900-3

also RAID is not showing in CUCM can I shutdown  CUCM & Extract CUCM RAID slot 0 &  start CUCM press F5 check boot sequence  ExtractRAID slot 0 & start CUCM after doing this procedure can RAID will be show  ??

You cant run PUB and SUB with different versions for two days

Why you need that?

Regarding raid i am not sure you need someone more familiar with that

If you are not familiar with raid may you loose everything in the disk when you change the raid..

I don't know but customer want to keep observation , have any document please share me .

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sandipan,

In addition to the great tips from CC (+5 )

Please show the customer this clip from the first doc I linked. There are

methods to revert to the previous CUCM build if required, but you cannot run

the Pub on 7.1.5 and the Sub on 7.0.2 .......it will be a disaster

All servers in a cluster must run  the same release of Cisco Unified  Communications Manager. The only  exception is during a cluster software  upgrade, during which a temporary mismatch is allowed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/7_1_2/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1179728

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley

Thanks Rob and Chrysostomos .

As per recommendation I am going to ahead for upgrade CUCM in cluster .

Thanks alot !

BR ,

Sandipan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: