cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is my IP phone 7841 SIP or SCCP, how to verify?

zhir
Level 1
Level 1

So the active load firmware on the 7841 is sip78xx. but i can't find the SIP configuration on the phone it self neither on the web UI,

when i load it with another sip firmware through tftp, it asks "press a key to change the service mode" and when i press it, it tells me to enter an activation code or the domain service.

anyone knows what's the deal with this phone? Thanks alot.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cisco 7800 series phones are SIP phones.. However, if you want to use a third-party phone service, you need a MPP version 7841 phone or convert the enterprise firmware version that you have to a MPP version. This conversion requires a license.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

mdrangell22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Cisco long time stop working on SCCP so the lastest phone only function with SIP. 

78XX and 88XX only use SIP Protocol.

If you want 78XX Phones works on third paty call control system you have to use 78XX with MultiPlatform Phone (MPP) Firmware otherwhise 78XX Phones will only works on CUCM

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Why don't you check the datasheet? It's publicly available in the internet and for everyone to read...
But in short for you: 78xx phones are SIP only
About the "activation code or the domain service" --> There have soooo many forum questions about that topic. Better check them first, before asking the same question again.

If you are trying to register the phone to CUCM and it asks for activation code, then probably your phone cannot find the TFTP-server (CUCM), because it doesn't get the option 150 via DHCP.

So, yes, the 7841 phone is SIP only. The "Service Mode" has to do with whether the phone is to be told to register with CUCM or with Webex.

Activation Code: For CUCM registrations, the phone has to be built in CUCM and have a DN assigned AND, as b.winter points out, has to be able to find the CUCM TFTP server either by manual configuration of the information on the phone or by DHCP (which is the vastly more common). Otherwise it will ask for an activation code.

Service Domain: Is associated with a phone that is to connect to CUCM via MRA. (Or Webex if that is the service mode chosen.)

Do a little more research and let us know if you have questions.

Maren

Cisco 7800 series phones are SIP phones.. However, if you want to use a third-party phone service, you need a MPP version 7841 phone or convert the enterprise firmware version that you have to a MPP version. This conversion requires a license.

Response Signature

mdrangell22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Cisco long time stop working on SCCP so the lastest phone only function with SIP. 

78XX and 88XX only use SIP Protocol.

If you want 78XX Phones works on third paty call control system you have to use 78XX with MultiPlatform Phone (MPP) Firmware otherwhise 78XX Phones will only works on CUCM