Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am running Call Manager ver. 5.1

My Server Details are below:

MCS 7816H3

RAM: 2GB

Hard Drive: 2x160= 320 GB

Can you please tell me how i can migrate my MCS server to UCS C series C220.

I will be very thannkful if you can provide me the steps to follow for a successful migration

Regrads

Malik

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It can be complicated.

My preference for these jobs is to find a server that can run your current version of CUCM, and make a copy of your server by building a new server from media, and restoring a DRF backup.

Then I upgrade that new server offline in the lab through multiple versions until it is on 8.0 or better - that's the minimum required for VMware. At that point I use DRF to restore to UCS.

When you are on 5.1, usually the servers I have the run 5.1 are too old to run 8.0. In that case I restore 5.1 to VMware, upgrade to 6.1.4, backup that, restore that to physical hardware (6.x and 7.x releases often cause issues with upgrades in VMware as there are extra hardware checks) and then upgrade that hardare to the latest 8 release I can. I then restore that to a fresh build in VMware.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Pretty much agree with Aaron on this one.  I'm not a big fan of bridge upgrades and associated downtime.  Always good to stage it up offline if you can.

Hailey

Hi Davaid,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I have a question
Lets suppose i have upgraded my cucm running on mcs server to ver.8.5 and mean while my ucs is also ready with fresh cucm 8.5.
Now my question is how i will take a back up from mcs server and restore it to the cucm running on ucs server.

What will be the procedure/steps.

Please guide me your usual support is always appreciated.

Regards,
Malik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Tiger,

Go through the below link - it has all instructions for taking a backup and restoring:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_5_1/drsag851.html

Let us know if you have still any further questions.

Terry

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Edited the link above - before I had pasted the link for CUCMBE by mistake.

Terry

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks Terry,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Not a problem mate. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Terry