Views
Helpful
Replies

packet captures/sniffers on CIPC phone

Abhishek Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All,

A small query about something which i seem to be missing on the  CIPC phone that i have been working on in my organization.

I need to take make some  test calls and have some sniffers/ packet captures through the CIPC phone, but all i can see with regards to that is the below mentioned option, which is not the case with other physical phones when it comes to taking captures.

So would appreciate some sort of guidance on how to do it on a CIPC( rather where to enable the option should be the correct way to put it ).

Thanks.

cisco.jpg          

Whatever level you reach getting better never stops -- Sachin Tendulkar       

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Abhishek,

These settings are while troubleshooting encryption only. If you need to take a packet capture, you can do so by running wireshark on the same machine where CIPC is running. That should get you the info you need.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Abhishek,

These settings are while troubleshooting encryption only. If you need to take a packet capture, you can do so by running wireshark on the same machine where CIPC is running. That should get you the info you need.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi HSM,

Thanks for the confirmation Sir

Anytime my friend :-)

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi,

You can use Wireshark to have packet capture from the PC port.

Refer to the following guide, it should be work the same for the PC port: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-11735

Regards

Please rate all useful posts

I am still not able to get the desired captures.

Selected the correct working interface from the IP Comm. but even then i think i seem to be missing something.

Hi Abhishek,

The screenshot you gave is that of the preferences-->Network settings of the CIPC. You dont need to change that. You can leave it at "Use this Device Name" followed by SEP. If it is properly setup on CUCM, it should register fine.

Once this is done, what you need to do is launch wireshark --> Capture --> Interfaces --> Click on Start next to the adapter where you see the packets incrementing. Wireshark will start capturing the traffic coming in/going out of that machine where CIPC is running. You can now replicate what you are trying to capture and then stop the capture.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.