cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Partial Registration through Expressway

jonathan.salter
Level 3
Level 3

I have 8841's with sip88xx.12-1-1SR1-4 registered through MRA, every so often and randomly they go into partial registration.

TAC has been less than helpful to resolve this issue.

When they go to partial registration the active load disappears.

Partial.png

Please remember to rate useful posts, click on the stars below.
20 Replies 20

Shashank Mahajan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of CUCM and Expressway are you using? Are you using shared lines/multiple lines with the 8841's registering over MRA?

Do we see anything related to this event in Phone console logs?

X8.10.4

Single line

At the moment I have not looked at the phone logs as I have no access to the phone web page.

I am planning to reach out to the remote employees to commandeer their computer to gather the logs.

I have only seen partial registrations when a sip device had lines on it that were not on the phone due to a line template error.  

Look at expressway network logs under status tab. Before that change
logging diagnostic level to debugging under maintenance. You can also run
diagnostics and download the file offline

This will help you to find more details about the problem

Have not found much...only potential issue is OAuth was turned on on the Core but not in CUCM.

I disabled it on the Core...I will monitor and update next week.

Hi Jonathan,

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Thanks.

Went away for a while but now it's back...working with TAC now.

Hi,

I'm also seeing the same issue.

Out of 100 MRA phones, 4 of them each morning are partially registered.

Expressway 12.5.7

CUCM 11.5 

8845: sip8845_65.12-5-1SR2-2

Please let me know what you TAC case recommend as a resolution for you.

Thanks,

@ed.gumuskaya wrote:

Hi,

I'm also seeing the same issue.

Out of 100 MRA phones, 4 of them each morning are partially registered.

Expressway 12.5.7

CUCM 11.5 

8845: sip8845_65.12-5-1SR2-2

Please let me know what you TAC case recommend as a resolution for you.

Thanks,

Did you perhaps overlook enabling "SIP Path Headers" on Expressway?:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X12-5/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide_chapter_0111.html#task_7698D28CA29E10D0FA880FE5DDA59065

-jd

Hi jd,

Apologize for the delay, I hadn't been notified of your update.

Yeah SIP Header was switched on last year and is currently switched on as we see the issue.

Thanks,

@jonathan.salter  I was wondering if TAC ever helped you find the cause of the problem?
I'm seeing this problem in my environment as well. My SIP headers are turned on but I notice the issue on not only shared lines but users that just have a primary line.

Please let me know when you have a moment.

Hi All,

Anyone got any further updates on this issue?

I will be opening a TAC case in a few hours regarding this. If you have any bug ID or case IDs that I can refer to that would be great.

Thanks,

Ed

I wonder if anyone got any further traction with Cisco TAC on this issue? I had a case opened, but then the phones stopped doing it and I had to close it. If anyone else is running into this, this is where my TAC case ended. If you have phones that are randomly going into Partially Registered:

Set up a custom alert in RTMT to alert on Partially Registered phones (There is a performance counter for it under the CallManager service, you'll need to add an alert for each server the phones can register too)

After, that this is what he said:

I have new updates regarding this one. It looks like this is not a defect in CUCM as we were suspecting, after analyzing some logs we noticed there was an issue with 407 response for one of the REGISTER messages sent by the IP phone getting 16 to 18 seconds of delay. So I am suspecting you are also experiencing this issue.

We will need to get the following data for a new occurrence of this issue in your environment to isolate issue down:

-Cisco CallManager traces

-Event viewer application logs

-Event viewer system logs

-PRT logs from the MRA IP phone that had the issue

-Expressway Diagnostic logs (If you can’t get these you might want to get full system snapshot logs right after the issue happens so we don’t get the network logs overwritten)

-Please provide the alert that you got from RTMT for the Partially registered device.

Note: Make sure you get the traces 5 minutes prior to the alert and 5 minutes after you reset the phone and it came back up.

Hi,

Yes, TAC case is still continuing.

After monitoring the logs from CUCM(RTMT), Expressway and PRT from Remote phones (Painful!!)

Engineer has so far requested to upgrade firmware on affected 8845/65 & 7841 phones and increase the SIp Expire timer from 120 to 180 seconds.

With both completed, we are still seeing the issue.

Thanks for the tip about setting up an alert in RTMT. So far, I have been checking every 2hours for "partial registered phone"

From the PRT we see:

++ the CUCM sent line register Req for the first line only :

++ the line set to register

++ the refer with one line :

++ the CUCM didnt start the registration for the second and for the third line .

for another incident we found the CUCM is sending the registration for the line 2 and line 3 in case the registration message after the reason 13.

++ so the only difference is the phone sometimes send empty registration message and sometimes is not .

If anyone wants to link their TAC case mine is: SR 689088030 : Expr 12.5.7 - MRA 8800 phones becoming "Partial Registered"

Please share yours so that ours could be linked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: