Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone Auto Registratiion Issues

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Experts,

For some reasons that I ignore the auto registration is not working. It's wokring for the IP Communicators but not for phones. The fact that it works for IP Communicators, I can assume that there is no issues with the config. The show cdp neighbor interfce GigabitEthernet1/0/47 shows the correct Mac address for the new phone attached to the port.

The CM Group contains only Pub and the auto registration checkbox is checked.
In the Pub

Starting directory Number: 32000
Ending directory number: 32999
Theses extensions are all available to be assigned.
The Auto registration checkbox is unchecked.

The Pub is the DHCP server as well as the Primary TFTP Server IPv4 Address(Option 150).

The TFTP and CM services have been restarted  in the Pub.

When I delete an IP Communicator from the CUCM database, it gets registered as expected with an auto registration extension but when I delete a phone device it doesn't.

Do you guys have any idea what am I missing?

Thanks,

MK

17 Replies 17

what I understood is phones are not registering and ip communicator is registering.

was these phone registered before ?

Does the phone got IP address ? if phone Is not getting IP check the helper address configuration for voice vlan.

Response Signature

Have you performed a factory reset of the phone or at a minimum a clear security settings?

Response Signature

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would suggest initially resetting the Security settings of a phone for testing and then Reset All Settings (if Security reset dont solve your registration problem).

Do you receive "reject" status or just unregistered?

George

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Unfortunately the phone is remote and I don't have visual access to see in what process it is. I believe it's stuck in IP Configuration process. I don't think there's a security issue as the phone is brand new and it's supposed to have no config in it.

The phone has been recevied from Cisco last week. The CUCM is not seeing the phone. There were a 7942 connected to this port and everything was working perfectely well. As soon as I reconnected the old phone it registeres with no issue. The issue is with the new phone which is a 7841. The firmware is already uploaded in the TFTP server and the service has been restarted.

Thanks,

MK

Did you change the auto-registration protocol to SIP?? The default is SCCP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yes it is already done. What kind of trace file do I need to enable in order to find info about the registration failure?  I have taken the Cisco CallManager trace file but nothing shows when I search the log file based on the mac address of the phone.

Thanks,

MK

From phone setting check the status message. if you haven't tried factory reset of 7821 please do factory reset.

Response Signature

As I mentined before the phone is not visible by CUCM therefore no setting messages. My colleague will be on site tomorrow. Will ask him to do a factory reset and see if the issue goes away.

Thanks,

MK

My colleague performed a factory reset but no luck.

I can see in the router an IP Address is associated with the Mac Addresse connected to the switch port. This means the phone can communicate with Publisher which is DHCP server. Is there anything else I can do to make this work?

By the way, I managed to manualy register one of the new phones with no issue.

Thanks,

MK

I got the auto registration partially working.

For some reason that I ignore the new phones receives the IP adresse of the secondary TFTP( subscriber) server while the auto registration is pointed to the first TFTP server which is the Publisher. As soon as I manualy pointed the phone to the first TFTP server (Pub) using the setting button on the phone, the phone got the auto registation extension immediately.

Anybody has any idea why the new phone is receiving the IP adresse of the secondary TFTP server? It looks like the new phone is connecting to the Device pool --> CallManager Group that the old phone had in it's cofiguration. It is to note that the new phone is being connected to the same cable that the old phone.

Thanks,

MK 

The phone would get TFTP server information from your DHCP scope by option 150, or 88 if you would be using legacy configuration. For the phone to “find” the DHCP server you would need to define a ip helper address for that vlan.

Why do you not have both nodes in your CMG used for auto registration?

Response Signature

HI Roger,

The IP helper is already configured and working. The phone gets an IP Address with no issue but does not register.

I don't want to use Subscribe as the auto registration server because there are about 7000 devices registered with this server. Any changes to this sever will restart 7000 devices. The question is why the new phones are getting the address of the sub as TFTP server while the only configured server ins CMG is the Pub?

Thanks,

MK

The CMG has no relevance in this. The TFTP server information is passed by the DHCP service by the scope settings for option 150.

Response Signature

Thanks Roger,

The DHCP server is the Pub and the:

Primary TFTP Server IPv4 Address(Option 150)  is set to be the Pub

Secondary TFTP Server IPv4 Address(Option 150) is set to be the Sub

The issue is that the new phones are seeing the Secondary TFTP server instead of the Primary.

Thanks,

MK