Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone firmware

Hi all

Cisco recommends to install new firmware on all servers in the cluster. If I have a 3 server cluster with 2 tftp servers, why do I have to install the firmware on all 3 servers and not only on the 2 tftp servers?

What exactly does the firmware installation besides installing the necessary files on the tftp server and updating the default phone load?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kusatija
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Thijs,

Are all the servers on one site, is it a centeralized or distributed implementation?

Cisco recommends you to upload the firmware on all the nodes as you can enable tftp services on all the nodes at any point, so all the files are there if you activate the tftp server on a node for any reason.

Technically you do not need to upload the firmware on all the nodes and just the node where the tftp services are running.

Here is one scenario I have experienced in a scenario. Customer had only 
one TFTP server, the cluster is spread over two data center centers.
During the night of upgrade, they turned on TFTP service on one sub.
Since the Cop files were on all the servers including this sub, so they
could use two tftp(one is temp one) for the upgrade.

Hope that makes sense!

HTH

Kunal

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kusatija
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Thijs,

Are all the servers on one site, is it a centeralized or distributed implementation?

Cisco recommends you to upload the firmware on all the nodes as you can enable tftp services on all the nodes at any point, so all the files are there if you activate the tftp server on a node for any reason.

Technically you do not need to upload the firmware on all the nodes and just the node where the tftp services are running.

Here is one scenario I have experienced in a scenario. Customer had only 
one TFTP server, the cluster is spread over two data center centers.
During the night of upgrade, they turned on TFTP service on one sub.
Since the Cop files were on all the servers including this sub, so they
could use two tftp(one is temp one) for the upgrade.

Hope that makes sense!

HTH

Kunal

Yes Kunal, that makes sense

Thanks for your help!

Thijs