cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-install CUCM on VMWARE

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

I need to reinstall a fresh copy of cucm on an existing CUCM VMware build - test lab . Though it is installed I need to rebuild it again, I thought the way to do it was the same as build

Point the drive to location of the bootable SW

Power on

And in theory the system should carry out a fresh install over the top - however  it fails and it just brings it up as a normal CUCM without the fresh build process , what am I missing ?

Many thanks

9 Replies 9

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

What you are seeing is exactly what I would expect to happen.

Can you provide more details on what you think should be happening.

I need to reinstall a fresh cucm on top of an existing version - the same version is being installed again. But when I boot up the server after pointing it to same sw which was used to install it originally,it boots up normally. I thought it would try to reinstall itself again 

You need to delete your VM and create a fresh VM for that.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

If I delete the VM, does it keep all the vlan,network address etc. Is it just the case of installing the ova again then the iso?

Next question 

If I'm using it as a test  install first to test some features then going to reuse the same VM as production afterwards, would you recommend using a snapshot before I install the initial Cisco SW before I build the test system and then restore the original VM after the test build and then build it again as production or delete the VM and rebuild via the ova so if is clean?

if you delete a VM you delete EVERYTHING,

You need to deploy the OVA from cisco.com, and then you perform a fresh install.

Snapshots are NOT supported, review what is supported and what not in the virtualization wiki.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I thought I saw somewhere that deleting the VM instance allows me to re-install a new ova for a fresh install of VOS? It kept the networking be set up in place?

Sorry, I mean delete from disk

If you would like to retain the data from the VM, you can use the Export BAT feature to export pretty much everything you configured. As long as the new system is the same version it should import with zero problem.

Are you setting the boot order to boot to the ISO before the disk?