Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended types of cables for voip

moh123321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of installing a TDM PABX, but there is a plan in future to go for VOIP in a couple of years, my question what is the recommended cables type valid for both, digital & voip? any specific standadars?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cat5e or Cat6.

Also, don't allow the cabler to "split the jacks" such that a single Cat5e/6 cable services more than one PBX phone. VoIP phones, now running at 1Gb speeds, require all four pairs.

You would think this goes without saying but I had a cabler do it to a customer last year.

you mean each voip telephone set has to hast its own cable? I'm planning to separate the data and voice network,

any comment about POE, any specific requirements?

Hi Mohamed,

Regarding POE requirement, please check the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00808996f3.shtml

1. You get 48 port Cisco switches which can provide 370 Watts (Half POE), that means 24 such  IP Phone which consumes 15.4 watts can be plugged on this switch.

2. And the other 48 port POE switch with 740 Watts can power 48 such phones.

Please note not all phones consume 15.4 watts it depends on the class which that phone belongs to, if a ip phone consumes lets say 7.5 watts, then 48 such phones can be plugged in your half POE 48 port switch.

BR,

Nirmal Joshi

Pls rate helpfull posts

shanewarne0459
Level 1
Level 1

cat5e plenum, cat6 plenum, cat6a plenum, cat5e plenum 1000ft, 1000ft cat6 plenum, Ethernet Bulk Cables, CMP Plenum Rated Networking Cable, Cat5e Plenum Solid Cable, CMP Ethernet Cables
https://www.1000ftcables.com

shanewarne0459
Level 1
Level 1

cat5e plenum, cat6 plenum, cat6a plenum, cat5e plenum 1000ft, 1000ft cat6 plenum, 1000ft cables, Ethernet Bulk Cables, CMP Plenum Rated Networking Cable, Cat5e Plenum Solid Cable, CMP Ethernet Cables

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: