cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Requirements for CUCM 11.5 OS Admin and Security Passwords

d.haeni
Level 4
Level 4

Do we have any documentation? I found the "set password" CLI Guide, but it does not mention allowed characters, maximum length, some of the defaults etc.

I just realized there is a defect in CUC/CUCM 11.5(1) does not support passwords longer than 15 characters

Thanks

/David

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"The Administrator login must start with an alphabetic character, be at least six characters long, and can contain alphanumeric characters, hyphens, and underscores. You will need the Administrator login to log in to Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration, the command line interface, and the Disaster Recovery System." from https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/11_5_1/cucm_b_installation-guide-cucm-imp-1151/cucm_b_installation-guide-cucm-imp-1151_chapter_0101.html

also, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/11_5_1/cucm_b_installation-guide-cucm-imp-1151/cucm_b_installation-guide-cucm-imp-1151_chapter_010.html has some additional guidelines.

Thanks, Chris!

But again, no mention of a maximum number of characters. I assume it should be something higher than 15 due to the defect I referenced.

There is no limit as far as I know, the bug you are referring to has to do with PCD not necessarily the CUCM, etc.  Due to that bug you should not exceed 15 characters until it gets resolved. It's not in any guides as this is a bug and not a limitation.

I realized the Answer File Generator for 11.5 says+enforces the following regarding Administrator and Security Passwords:

"Ensure the password is at least 6 characters long, but no more than 15 characters."

Seems like the defect CSCvb00248 is not limited to PCD  (also given the number of TAC SRs).

markelb
Level 1
Level 1

I'm struggling to find this information as well.  In the Installation Guide for CUCM and IM&P 11.5.(1) the section on Password Recommendations has good guidelines but lacks in detail.

Password Recommendations
The installation wizard checks to ensure that you enter a strong password. To create a strong password, follow
these recommendations:
• Mix uppercase and lowercase letters.
• Mix letters and numbers.
• Include special symbols.
• Remember that longer passwords are stronger and more secure than shorter ones.

Similarly, what are the password requirements for the GUI administrator account?  Manually changing the GUI admin password sheds a little light.

admin:utils reset_application_ui_administrator_password
New password: *
Confirm new Password: *

Password must be less than 32 characters, run the command again.

Executed command unsuccessfully

admin:

The recommendation you stated remains the same for the GUI creds / Application creds as well.

Also the answer file generator states the below for app user creds.

This mandatory field provides the password that is assigned to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager application user. This password allows the user to log in to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager GUI.

Ensure the password is at least 6 characters long, but no more than 19 characters.

For Cisco Unified Communications installations with versions lower than and including 7.1.5, the password can contain only alphanumeric characters.

For Cisco Unified Communications installations with versions greater than and including 8.0.1, the password can contain only printable ASCII characters, but must contain at least one alphanumeric character [0-9, a-z, A-Z].

The printable ASCII character range is [ ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < = > ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z [ \ ] ^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z { | } ~ ]

Not sure how updated this is though.

Please rate if found helpful

Regards,
Aeby

Please rate if you find this helpful.

Regards,
Aeby
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: