Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

same number on softphone and desk phone

Can you give the same number to both your softphone and your hardware desktop phone and if so how do you do it

18 Replies 18

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes this is possible and it is a widely implemented schenario however, to get some more information/guidelines you will need to clarify what kind of platform (is it CUCM or CME) you use to register/configure your phone/softphone.

There is plenty of material within Community on how to register a device and assign a number of it, please clarify the platform and we could provide to you some assistance/clarification.

George

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

This is my platform

Cisco Unified CM Administration

System version: 11.5.1.14900-11

Please have a look on the following link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/11_5_1/sysConfig/CUCM_BK_SE5DAF88_00_cucm-system-configuration-guide-1151/CUCM_BK_SE5DAF88_00_cucm-system-configuration-guide-1151_chapter_0101010.html#CUCM_TK_C3BD0638_00

Moreover, there is plenty of material on Community and at YouTube on how to add a device. In your case you will add 2 different devices with the same line.

I hope this helps,

George

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Okay I did do most of what the link talks about,prior to opening this post, the only difference being that my softphone has primary number in the associations area that is different than my deskphone and I added the deskphone as the secondary number. Can both the softphone and the deskphone have the same primary number in the association area? Or does the softphone have its own primary phone number?

Hello,

When you refer to softphone, could you clarify which one do you use? For example, as previously stated, there is no limitation on having the same extension on a Cisco Phone and Cisco Jabber.

George

Cisco IP communicator 3.5. Again I have my deskphone number on the IP communicator but I do not have it as the primary/line 1 number I have it on as the secondary or line 2 number. Can I make it the line 1 number on my cisco 8841 deskphone and line 1 on my cisco IP communicator softphone

Yes, you definitely can.

George

So I tried it on an existing softphone that I had line 1 as a different number that the deskphone and it would not let me change it,  So I suppose I have to create the softphone with line 1 as the same as the desktop initially

You should be able to set the number at any time. It would not need to be configured at the initial configuration.

What type of soft phone are you trying to configure with a shared line? If it’s a 3:rd party SIP device it would not support a shared line.

Shared line is the technical term for what you’re trying to configure.

Response Signature

I am using cisco IP communicator 8.6.6.0 and my deskphone is a cisco 8841. I am able to associate the desk phone number as line 2 just not as line 1

Under Phone configuration, you should go to "Association Information" (left side), click on "Line-1", change the Directory Number to the one that is the same with your Line-1 at Deskphone (be careful to use the same Partition and Calling Search Space) and then, press "Save" and "Apply Config".

George

Yes I tried that and got this error:

Error Message Update failed. Cannot associate a DN or Pattern with the same device more than once (in DeviceNumplanMap table).

I figured out how to change line 1 to my desk phone number but it still has the old number I put on it for the softphone

I was able to get it to work