Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP between CUCM and CME, error Malformed From:

ken.montgomery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, 

Am building a SIP trunk between a CME and UCM server.  Have a number of these trunks configured, and this one is working when calls are placed on the CME to the UCM.  The problem is, calls on the UCM don't make it through to the CME... they arrive and receive this error:

SIP/2.0 400 Bad Request - 'Malformed/Missing FROM: field'

Now, I know the From field has something in it, I can see it.  The problem appears to be that the description of the phone or DN from the Call Manager (UCM) is being sent over to the CME, and it does not like that.  I have tried every combination of setting I can find with the trunk and also the route pattern to try to block it and send over only the SIP identifier or external mask, but nothing seems to change the FROM field.

How is it possible to change it, so that it reflects only the telephone number, not the description (I believe it is failing because of the comma in everyone's descriptions (last name, first name) and can't go through 400 some phones and change them all just for this).

Any thoughts?

Ken

11 Replies 11

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Ken,

can you share you CME config ?

you are talking about the name of the extensions, and you suspect them. can you change one phone and test the call.

HTH

Anas

please don't forget to rate the helpful posts

Sorry, should have said that yest, without the comma in the description on CUCM, the problem goes away.

No need to post the whole config, as it is ridiculous.  Just need to know how to stop it sending that.

Ken,

You could use an outbound SIP Normalization Script to remove the comma on the CUCM side, but the easier method would be to just export the phones using BAT and do an update to remove the commas.

Brian

Well, I could, but that really defeats the purpose of the question.  There should be a way to only send the phone number instead of the description, out of CUCM when dialing through SIP.  

Should be a filter/translation/transformation pattern or something I could do, this hasn't affected any of the other 8 CME's I've connected, only this one, so it is obviously related to the version of IOS... but should be a way to control this in case other vendor systems that are interconnected with SIP experience a similar problem.

Ken,

It looks like there was a bug filed for this in CUCM- CSCsu56892.  CUCM and IOS share the same SIP stack source code so most likely they fixed this in IOS as well.

Thanks,

Brian

I see that the error was fixed in a later version.  We are running IOS 12.4(22)T which is CME version

7.1.1.0.  The bug apparently was fixed in versions: 7.1(2.10000.16),7.1(0.98999.12),7.1(0.39000.71), 7.0(2.10000.18),7.0(1.21007.1),7.0(0.99999.65)

So, we should be past that bug, no?

Ken,

The bug I linked was fixed in those CUCM versions which isn't directly related to the CME version.  I will see if I can find if they fixed this in the IOS Source and in what IOS versions.

Thanks,

Brian

Oops, my fault, I misread that then.

I was thinking we were focused on the CME.

CUCM is version

6.1.5.12900-7

So could definitely be a problem there... thanks for the heads up.

Ken,

The gateway is what is rejecting the call so that's where the bug lies in your case.  I found the IOS bug for you.

The bug was fixed in IOS SIP Stack as bug CSCsu57129.  Should just need to upgrade to a version of IOS with the fix.

Thanks,

Brian

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ken,

Can you send me the debug ccsip messages..

The format of a From field is..

From: "Donna Pliss" <01524453315>;tag=166647~ffa80926-5fac-4dd6-b405-2dbbc56ae9a2-540782863

The parameter in "" is an optional display field...I had like to see what you are seeing and then we can take it on from there

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

Sure, let me grab one...

Apr  9 16:32:56.985: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/SIP/Msg/ccsipDisplayMsg:

Sent:

SIP/2.0 400 Bad Request - 'Malformed/Missing FROM: field'

Reason: Q.850;cause=100

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 14:32:56 GMT

From: "Montgomery, Ken" ;tag=9bc0e94b-c97a-40f8-8981-7710e478e0ca-48094107

Allow-Events: telephone-event

Content-Length: 0

To: ;tag=29C4C480-26DE

Call-ID: 5d39a180-16412698-1a3a0-2d2600a@10.96.210.2

Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 10.96.210.2:5060;branch=z9hG4bK1a2c

slkncme#591dc00c

Server: Cisco-SIPGateway/IOS-12.x

CSeq: 101 INVITE

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: