Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Jabber Client Voicemail Issue

Tyler-Paquet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago, I upgraded a client's Communication's system from 11.0 to 12.5. Ever since, Jabber has been doing a strange thing. On regular desk phones, the MWI light lights up okay, and notifies of a message on Unity, but Jabber doesn't get that same notification, even if it's the same number. signing out of Jabber, and signing back in makes the notification appear. But even after signing out and in again, it will show the previously unread voicemails, but not anything new. The users have to always log off and on again to get the notification on Jabber. If the user with the Jabber calls the voicemail, they can hear the voicemail, even if Jabber isn't notifying them of the message.

What could be causing this?

All Call Manager, Unity and Presence servers are on version 12.5

6 Replies 6

Sergio Quezada
Level 1
Level 1

How does the MWI behave on a physical phone? Does it behave properly or does it stay on as well?

On the phone system ports in CUC, do all ports have the ability to handle Message Notifications and dialout MWI? Can you check to see if MWI is enabled on the port group and perhaps run an MWI re-sync? It might be worth resetting the trunk from CUCM or the Connection Notifier service.

This is unlikely, but if you have any DB sync issues (show cuc cluster status), you might be listening to the messages on one server but the server responsible for MWI doesn't know the message is marked as read.

ref. https://community.cisco.com/t5/contact-center/jabber-visual-voicemail-not-giving-mwi/td-p/3000605

MWI on a physical phone behaves correctly, though I did have to perform a full re-sync and disabling and re-enabling MWI entirely to get it to sync properly, but those are now working correctly.

Originally, I thought it was an issue with certs, since back in may, we also regenerated their Call Manager and Unity certs, but the issue only began after the upgrade. The DB sync seems to be working well, I did that command and it didn't report any issues or seem like there was something off. All ports have MWI enabled also. The CUC is using SCCP as it's communication with the Call Manager, and I did see that all ports are registered correctly, and to their respective CUC server (Pub and Sub)

This error seems to be only a Jabber and Unity issue...

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?

We recently upgraded CUCM 10.5 and CUC 11.5 both to version 12.5 and we are now experiencing the same issue.

Phones and Unified Messaging inbox stay in sync.  Jabber only seems to sync the current status when it launches but any changes to the mailbox (new/modify/delete) aren't reflected in the Jabber client.

Thanks!

Can you share you service profile configuration for Jabber in CUCM? Please post the details, redacting any sensitive information, of your Service Profile and your UC Services as it pertains to CUC integration.

Yes, we found the issue.

Issue was with the Jabber Client itself, it wasn't on a release that is compatible with 12.5 (It will "work", but strange stuff will happen). Make sure you update the Jabber Client to the latest release in order to get proper 12.5 support. Also, you may want to watch out for strange IM and Presence issues, we've been dealing with one where certain users aren't reporting their status correctly until you go into Call Manager and unassign the user from IM and Precense, and re-assign them.

I was afraid it might be client related.  We are actually using Jabber's little stepbrother "Cisco UC Integration for Microsoft Lync" (CUCILync) because we use Skype for Business as our primary IM&P client.  CUCILync is basically Jabber with only telephony functions, no IM&P (In fact we don't even have a CUCM IM&P server).  But it does have hooks into the Skype client for presence status sharing.

The most recent version of CUCILync is 11.6.5 which we are running.  I am not optimistic about Cisco releasing a 12.5 version but perhaps they might.  I'll open a support case with TAC and see what they say.  Thanks for the quick response!