Views
Helpful
Replies

Sweet32 Vulnerability on 8832 Phone

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Recently our security team pointed out that our 7861 and 8832 IP phones deemed as vulnerable. The vulnerability details was Sweet32 (https://sweet32.info/). The remarks said that "Disable and stop using DES, 3DES, IDEA or RC2 ciphers.".

So I did a test with some of the IP phones in my deployment, by setting the 'Disable TLS Ciphers' value on each phone to option 7 (the bottom one). Well, to my surprise, the latest report said that the 7861 phones are fixed, but not with 8832.

After further checking, both phone types are basically runs with the same software version, sip78xx.12-8-1-0001-455 for 7861 and sip8832.12-8-1-0001-455 for 8832. The software is quite new, release back in 2020, not really outdated. But, I found out that the value on option 7 is different. On 7861 it has 'TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SAH384', while on 8832 it has 'TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA256'.

Any idea on how to fix the vulnerability? Anyone experienced the same issue? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vinod,

Yes I did. Found it accidentally. On the phone settings, go to the bottom of the page. On "Disable TLS Ciphers" section, select all the items except None. Click save then apply config. Restart your phone to make sure none of the operational is disrupted by the changes you just performed. It solved my issue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Have you tried,  Firmware 14.0(1)SR2 for 8832. 

Response Signature

Hi Nithin,

I just upgraded to version 14.0(1)SR2 today. So far the TLS version on option 7 is the same. Gonna wait for the latest security report next Monday to see the result.

Hi,

I tried to upgrade the phone to its latest OS release. But still got the vulnerability detected. Maybe Cisco has not released the patch yet for 8832? It's kind of strange since they have released the patch for 7861.

Vinod16
Level 1
Level 1

have you received any solution for this VA .

Regards

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Yes I did. Found it accidentally. On the phone settings, go to the bottom of the page. On "Disable TLS Ciphers" section, select all the items except None. Click save then apply config. Restart your phone to make sure none of the operational is disrupted by the changes you just performed. It solved my issue.