Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Server V2V

markcarat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have two Cisco UCS server C210 M2 at our datacenter.  One of them has three VM host (two Callmanager 8.5.1 and one Unit connection).  The other C210 M2 has two VM host (Callmanager and Unity connection).  We are in the process of moving our datacenter.  At the new data center we already have two Cisco USC C210 M2 servers  When I sopke to the server teams,  they suggest to do a V2V, which in term will copy the VM host from the UCS at the old data center to the UCS at the new data center.  Any one has experience doing this?  I search Cisco documentation but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks

Mark

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

You should be able to shutdown the virtual machines and copy it over. 

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

I guess you meant "VM Guest" instead of "VM Host"?  "Guest" and "Host" have very specific meanings in virtualization.

UCM and UCN are not more than a Linux machine.  You may clone them like regular virtual machines.  You may even do a vMotion, which means cloning without shutting down.

Vmotion will work, but is not support unless you share the same SAN storage. Do what George said, simply copy them over, if you have vcenter this is very easy. When you copy them and if you do not change any network parameters nothing will change, if you change the IP addresses for example as they may be different in new data center then you will need licnesing team to re-host the licenses for you.

HTH,

Chris

6 Replies 6

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

You should be able to shutdown the virtual machines and copy it over. 

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

I guess you meant "VM Guest" instead of "VM Host"?  "Guest" and "Host" have very specific meanings in virtualization.

UCM and UCN are not more than a Linux machine.  You may clone them like regular virtual machines.  You may even do a vMotion, which means cloning without shutting down.

Thank you Michael and George.  How do we handle the Liceense mac?  Will I get a new mac address and ask Cisco to rehost the licenses?

Regards

Mark

Vmotion will work, but is not support unless you share the same SAN storage. Do what George said, simply copy them over, if you have vcenter this is very easy. When you copy them and if you do not change any network parameters nothing will change, if you change the IP addresses for example as they may be different in new data center then you will need licnesing team to re-host the licenses for you.

HTH,

Chris

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

The main consideration here is that if you copy to another UCS, is that you don't oversubscribe resources. Remember the one physical to virtual CPU rule, and also the caveat regarding Unity Connection where 1physical is required for CPU affinity for the ESX scheduler. Refer to the sizing guides for vmWare and Unity Connection around this.

Regard
Allan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

markcarat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

The V2V worked fine.  License mac didn't change.  Basically I shut down CM and UC.  Let our Server team do the cloning.When it was done,  i fired them up.  Everything works without a blip.

thank you everyone.

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: