cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect to SMTP host

Stuart C
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to use GMAIL smtp.gmail.com for my CUE for message notification.  I have so far been unable to get it to work.  

When I try to send a test email I get "unable to connect to smtp host".  However.  When trying this from CME, I am able to telnet to smtp.gmail.com on ports 25, 465 and 587, so clearly there is nothing blocking it.

Can anyone advise why I get the unable to connect from CUE?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Are you using non authentication or is it SSL/StartTLS ?

Hi,
I have tried all combinations and get the same error. A few weeks ago I could connect when doing the test email, but now I get the unable to connect to SMTP host.

Thanks

SSL has issues with CUE for now and the only fix is to open up a TAC case to upload Gmail root cert through the CUE bash. Again this is taken the fact you are running 8.6 and not 9.X
Next, port 25 uses no auth so that should work which tells me that there could be another issue.
Enable the following trace on CUE please -

no trace all
clear trace
trace voicemail msgnotif all
trace configapi smtp debug
trace entitymanager NotifDevice all
trace smtp all
show trace buffer tail

Recreate the issue and let the logs cease on the screen. Do a ctrl+C to exit out of buffer and copy it in a text file and attach it here.

Hi,

I've attached the logs to the post.  It looks like it can't connect so does seem to be the issue.  I'm just not sure why it can't connect?

As I mentioned, from CME I can telnet ok on that port.

Thanks

The key error is -

DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com", port 25, isSSL false
Send failed, UID=0
2772 05/09 14:30:26.977 VMSS mnot 0 EmailSender: Error sending emailjavax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 25;
nested exception is:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Do you still have authentication enabled for port 25 ?

Hi,
No under the drop down I selected nothing. The other options being SSL and START-TLS. No matter what combination I try, I always get unable to connect to host.

THanks

I feel like gmail smtp is still enforcing a certificate exchange hence the error since the CUE does not have the gmail chain certificate for trust. You would need to open up a TAC case and have the certificate updated via shell.

Hi,
We could connect a few weeks ago, as we could see from Wireshark trace that there was communication between GMAIL and CUE. But it just seems to have stopped?
Thanks - STuart

I understand. This issue surfaced recently what we believe is due to gmail updating their certificate chain. So there is no workaround for this other than TAC case.