cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IP Phone Firmware with .cop.sgn files

Kristopher Tan
Level 1
Level 1

I was having some problems installing an update for our 7965 phones here at work. Most documentation and forums indicate that you simply need to place the .cop.sgn file onto the TFTP server, restart the TFTP server, and call manager will automatically display the new firmware version. Something like:

1: goto Cisco Unified OS Administration in CUCM

2: goto software upgrade-->install/upgrades
3: add new and browse path of your downloaded firmware file

4: upload it.

5: Goto CUCM Admin page

6: Device --->Device Setting-->Device Defaults (goto particular ip phone model & copy phone load name). then Click Update.

7: goto the phone--> particular phone (as you need to upgrade the firmware version)-->device page--> change phone load name.

8: update it.

9: restart TFTP Service in Cisco Unified Serviceability.

However, instead of doing step 2, I just went to TFTP File Management and uploaded the .cop.sgn file there, restarted the TFTP server and was hoping this would work. It didn't... It gave me an error on the screen of the IP Phone. However, when I downloaded the .zip file, unpackaged it, and uploaded all of the individual files, everything upgraded properly...

Am I missing something? Is this the correct way to update your firmware? How come the .sgn file didn't work?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bruno Rangel
Spotlight
Spotlight

Just to add to good explanation from Manoj and Jaime...

You cannot upload the COP file to the TFTP server via the CUCM web  interface, it has to be either burned to a disc or placed on an (S)FTP  server. If you already have an FTP server you can use, put it on there.  Otherwise the easiest way to get the file from your computer onto CUCM  is setting up an SFTP server on your local machine.

The procedure is the same that you can see in this Doc (just remember save your cop.sgn file that you already

downloaded and instal it)

Cheers
Bruno Rangel

Please remember to rate helpful  responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Cheers
Bruno Rangel
Please remember to rate helpful responses using the star bellow and identify helpful or correct answers

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

.cop files need to be installed, not uploaded to TFTP.

The other option, is what you did, get the zip and upload the individual files.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

manwable
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kris,

If you are upgrading the firmware through TFTP file management option, you need to download the zip file and upload all files one by one but if you follow the option 2 in the procedure you need the cop.sgn file and that will work properly.

Now if you are upgrading the phone firmware for single IP Phone the go to IP Phone config page and copy the new firmware load name from the device defaults to Load name on Phone config page and reset the IP Phone, that will take new firmware.

If you want to upload the firmware on all phones with same model then just restart TFTP service as mentioned above.

Hope that clarifies some confusion, let me know if I can help you better.

Bruno Rangel
Spotlight
Spotlight

Just to add to good explanation from Manoj and Jaime...

You cannot upload the COP file to the TFTP server via the CUCM web  interface, it has to be either burned to a disc or placed on an (S)FTP  server. If you already have an FTP server you can use, put it on there.  Otherwise the easiest way to get the file from your computer onto CUCM  is setting up an SFTP server on your local machine.

The procedure is the same that you can see in this Doc (just remember save your cop.sgn file that you already

downloaded and instal it)

Cheers
Bruno Rangel

Please remember to rate helpful  responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Cheers
Bruno Rangel
Please remember to rate helpful responses using the star bellow and identify helpful or correct answers

the Doc Link is no longer working :(

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Dear

you can not use the TFTP to upgrade the firmware of your IP phones  , you will need to use FTP or SFTP.KIndly find the below steps using the below link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25083

After that use show software , to make sure that the file is installed on your CUCM.

.you have to restart TFTP service. Go to Cisco Unified Serviceability, then go to Tools > Control Center-Feature Services and restart the TFTP service.

Then do as the below

/image/gif/paws/108090/upgrade-ip-firmware1-108090.gif

after that you will have to do the following. After that go to the Cisco IP phone , select the cisco IP phone 7965 and select the file which you select

Thank you

Please rate , if this will help