Views
Helpful
Replies

Using BAT to update a 802.1x setting

highmiles2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Need to change the 802.1x Authentication setting on the 7942 phones from "User Controlled" to "Enable".

There is approx 1650 phones in cluster. How would i be able to leverage the use of BAT for this scenario? 

Never used BAT before, and it doesn't look to be as friendly to use :( 

I will initially test this against a DP (18 phones) before rolling it out. 

Any instructions would be greatly appreciated. I checked the videos on YouTube but all videos were for adding users and not updates to a single setting/field.

Any instructions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can do this through BAT Bulk Administration > Phones > Update Phones > Query > search by device type / device pool / directory number etc > Click Next  > You will need to check the "802.1x Authentication" left check box and select the "Enabled" option > Reset Phones > Check the radio button "Run Immediately" > Submit.

You can use the above method to apply the change in small batches of a few hundred phones based on their device pool, DN range , phone model etc.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One additional thing you need to do when querying the phones is to ensure you find the phones based on single phone model as this setting is defined under Product specific items and would not show up in BAT when selecting different phone models.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can do this through BAT Bulk Administration > Phones > Update Phones > Query > search by device type / device pool / directory number etc > Click Next  > You will need to check the "802.1x Authentication" left check box and select the "Enabled" option > Reset Phones > Check the radio button "Run Immediately" > Submit.

You can use the above method to apply the change in small batches of a few hundred phones based on their device pool, DN range , phone model etc.

HTH

Manish

Sounds easy enough. I did that but unfortunately, the 8021x setting is no where to be found.

I did a query on a DP-Rymal (11 Phones), clicked Next and unable to find 802.1x setting to update.

See attached screen shots. 

But when I go select just one single individual phone, the setting is there to change. But the setting is not showing up on the BAT query. 

CUCM 9.1.2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One additional thing you need to do when querying the phones is to ensure you find the phones based on single phone model as this setting is defined under Product specific items and would not show up in BAT when selecting different phone models.

Yes, that is correct and it now makes sense, Chris. This is Product Specific.

My initial query was based on DP, and that query result had 11 phones (10x 7942 models, and a single ATA-187) and i was unable to find the 802.1x setting.

But when i went back and did a query and searched under Device Type = 7942, this resulted in 1400 phones and i can now see the 802.1x authentication field to update.

Perfect. 

Thanks guys for your help, it is much appreciated. 

No problem and good luck,

Please rate all useful posts!

Chris