cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Bulk Administration, custom file to update phone description

kbeaton
Level 1
Level 1

I want to clean up the phone descriptions.
I don't want to make a setting change, so I don't think using the query option is going to work for this.
I'm thinking I need to use a custom file.
If I choose "Update Bulk Phone Template where 'Device Name' in custom file..."
Am I correct to assume any changes I make to the description will reference the Device Name?
I'm assuming so.

Is there a file format I need to use?
Where do I find the file format I need to use?
Do I only include the Device Name and the Description fields since I only want to update the Description?

I don't want to over think this but I also don't want to create a mess!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

There are so many old posts on the topic of bulk administration, I’ll bet you that with minimal effort you’ll find some useful posts that reference what you’re asking about. If not my general advice when it comes to bulk administration would be to select on device and start testing how it works with that before you’ll get into running updates for all devices. That way you’ll have a reference on what is needed and what happens when you run it against a single device that you can apply to all when you have figured it all out. That way you’ll learn along the way instead of getting a ready made solution presented to you.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

Hi dear @kbeaton 

about question 1 >> in this way which i said for you, you must keep all field be existed.. (don't delete any column at all)
+ also i strongly suggest to first do this way only with one or two phone, and when completely find out to how to do, 
do this on all your phones ^-^

about question 2 >> you must delete phones, and re-insert them.. otherwise system will show error duplicate..

>> my Telegram id: @morez_hadi + if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

There are so many old posts on the topic of bulk administration, I’ll bet you that with minimal effort you’ll find some useful posts that reference what you’re asking about. If not my general advice when it comes to bulk administration would be to select on device and start testing how it works with that before you’ll get into running updates for all devices. That way you’ll have a reference on what is needed and what happens when you run it against a single device that you can apply to all when you have figured it all out. That way you’ll learn along the way instead of getting a ready made solution presented to you.

Response Signature

i do this way in my projects, for update any option which can not be done with Bulk tools >> 
( i recommend doing this steps first in LAB or only with specific phone, and then do it on real system of customer..)

1- go to Bulk Administration >> Phones >> Export Phones >> All Details >> Run Job Export for any type Phones you want..

2- download the exported file >> open it with excel >> import with "Delimited with Comma" >> then update & edit every fields you want >> save it as .CSV file..

3- go to device >> phones >> query all phones >> select all >> and Delete all phones you have on CUCM..

4- go to Bulk Administration >> Upload/Download Files >> Add new >> upload your updated .CSV file in step 2 >> select target "Phones" >> select transaction type "Insert Phones - All Details" >> click on Save..

5- go to Bulk Administration >> Phones >> Insert Phones >> select radio button "Insert Phones All Details" and choose your file >> run job immediately..

6- wait for job to be processed and be done..

7- now check your phones >> all phones must be inserted again in CUCM with the fields updated..

>> my Telegram id: @morez_hadi + if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful)

kbeaton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mohammadreza, thanks for all the details.

If I just want to update the description on a subset of phones. Do I leave all the columns in the CSV file I exported or can I just include the two fields I want, the Device Name the Description fields? If I only include the two fields will it wipe out all the other information or will it just update the description since the Device Name is the Key field?

In your example above you delete the phones first and then add them back in.
Is it necessary to delete the phones first or if I just add them back in with the system overwrite them with the new information?

Hi dear @kbeaton 

about question 1 >> in this way which i said for you, you must keep all field be existed.. (don't delete any column at all)
+ also i strongly suggest to first do this way only with one or two phone, and when completely find out to how to do, 
do this on all your phones ^-^

about question 2 >> you must delete phones, and re-insert them.. otherwise system will show error duplicate..