cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG202 second Fast Ethernet Port

MARC MONTANARI
Level 1
Level 1

On a VG202 Gateway, can I use the 2nd FAst Ethernet port to connect a PC ? I would like to connect the VG202

to a LAN switch, and have a PC behind it on the second Fast Ethernet port. On an analog port, I will connect an analog Fax.

In fact, the VG202 will act a little bit as an IP Phone, with a PC connected to it.

On the first Fast Ethernet port I will have voice vlan + data vlan and on the second Fast Ethernet port to the PC, only the data vlan.

Please see the drawing attached.

Is this possible ?

Thank you

MARC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, data sub-interface and 2nd interface go in the same bridge group.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it is possible with IRB.

I have used IRB and BVI interface sometimes, but I don't understand how do you want me to use it in my present case.

Normally on the uplink I will have 2 VLANs (voice for the Fax and Data for the PC) as we normally do

with an IP Phone.

will the VG202 be able to separate between voice trafic to the fax and data trafic to the PC ?

Thank you for a config sample or any additional information.

Marc

Yes, data sub-interface and 2nd interface go in the same bridge group.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Hello Marc, Paolo, we are would also use the VG202 in this szenario. Could you provide me please a config example from the LAN Switchport and both LAN Port´s from the VG202?

Best Regards Armin

Please find an example of the VG202 configuration and as well the associated switch port where it was connected to (the switch was a 3550).

First Ethernet port was a trunk to the switch

The second Ethernet port was connected to a PC

One of the VG async port has an analog phone

Hope this will be helpful.

Marc

Hi Marc, this is very helpfull. Many many thanks. But one Problem, we would use a switchport instead of a trunk.

The same szenario is possible w/o a Trunk?

Cheers Armin

Well,

Did you look to the switch configuration I provided at the bottom of the small text file ?

Generally with an IP Phone and a PC, you configure your switch port with an access vlan and a voice vlan.  Which is actually resulting in doing a trunk, even if not configured as a trunk.

In the switch configuration I provided, this is exactly the same : you have a data vlan and a voice vlan. And you use only one switch port. What is disturbing you in this configuration ?

But the answer is "no". We made a lot of tests before going to this trunk configuration, and it appears to me that you can't configure it as it is with an IP Phone. You have to use a 802.1Q trunk. So you should have a specific configuration for a port with a VG202, different than for an IP Phone.

Rgds, Marc

Hello Marc, it is a environment w/ 300.000 Users. The User can order a LAN Port Voice Ready, but not a Trunk Port. We offer 3 Types of LAN Ports to the customer but no Trunk Port. For example to make a Upgrade at CUCM, this Project takes near one Year, we must concider a lot of things and each Bug etc... etc.....

So, in this environment to offer a LAN Port as an Trunk, it is the same like Porsche develope a new Car :-).

Oh, I understand. Then you have to try to make it work with a normal LAN Port Voice Ready. I didn't succeed in doing so. Sorry not to be able to help further on.

Marc

You had help me, because you confirm my opinion that it is not working w/ a normal Switchport. I had also never saw a solution w/o trunking.

many thanks Armin 

Hello, I note when I power on the VG202, it runs in a wizzard.

It is possible, that a new VG20x out of the box (power oln and plug in network) get a IP via DHCP w/o preconfig by using the serial cable?

Cheers Armin

Hi Mark, one more ans last Question. Is w/ Trunk Szenario also DHCP possible for the VG2xx and the PC?

DHcp is configured for the VG on subinterface FastEthernet0/0.1  with the command "ip address dhcp".

Fo the PC, this is up to what is configured on the PC IP Stack.

As far as the PC port (int. FastEthernet0/1) and uplink data vlan (int. FastEthernet0/0.2) are bridged together, dhcp messages will be forwarded transparently to the switch.

Hello, I note when I power on the VG202, it runs in a wizzard.

It is possible, that a new VG20x out of the box (power oln and plug in network) get a IP via DHCP w/o preconfig by using the serial cable?

Cheers Armin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: