Views
Helpful
Replies

Different "show run" output with same IOS image and same configuration

cis00
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've 2 Cisco switches that I configured at the same way, the have both the same IOS image, but when I do a "show run" in one of the switches the VLAN are shoed (not the VLAN interfaces) but in the other not.

What could be the problem?

SW1

!
no aaa new-model
!
vtp domain Z1_External
vtp mode off
!
!
!
power redundancy-mode redundant
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
redundancy
 mode sso
!
!
vlan 5
 name VLAN5-TEST
!
vlan 6
 name VLAN6-TEST2
 mtu 2000
!

#OTHER STUFF

!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface Vlan5
 ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0
!

SW2

!
no aaa new-model
!
power redundancy-mode redundant
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!         
redundancy
 mode sso 
!         

#OTHER STUFF

!         
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 shutdown 
!         
interface Vlan5
 ip address 10.0.0.3 255.255.255.0
!         

8 Replies 8

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As I can see you have VTP configured with a domain in your first device, so you have to add this configuration in order to get the vlans from the VTP server and after that you can put the device in transparent mode, other way to type the vlans by your own.

Please do not forget to rate useful post.

Best Regards,

Just to add on top:

VTP domains must match in order to make this consistent and work properly. And, as already pointed out, changes must be done in the switch posing as a VTP server.

The switch configured as a VTP client will get the same VLANs via VTP messages, only if configured as a client. Transparent mode will exempt it from assuming changes done via the VTP server.

I don't want to use VTP so I gave the command "vtp mode off".  Is the domain set that let me to see the VLANs in the config file despite I deactivated VTP?

Not at all. They are just not configured.

You can issue "show vlan brief" and you will see the VLANs currently configured in the switch.

In that case you have to type all the vlans because are not configured.

Best Regards,

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The other switch doesn't have any VLANs in the VLAN database.
The only time this happens is when no interfaces were assigned to this VLAN & the VLAN DB was created (only the VLAN interface was created).

I'm sure that in the Switches also the VLAN6 was configured because the router on both end can use that vlan to ping each other, in fact using "sh vlan" they were shown correctly.

In SW1 you explicitly set vtp mode to off. I do not see anything similar in SW2. What happens if you explicitly configure vtp mode to off in SW2?

Clearly in SW1 you explicitly configured vlan numbers and names. Can you verify that you also manually configured them on SW2?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick