cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to solve IP address duplication by using NAT?

WangSteven02215
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will install agent on server or workstation to transmit Windows Event log. Also, network switch will send syslog by changing the settings.

As shown in the figure below, the problem of IP address duplication may be occurred because each independent system will be connected though the L3 switch. (For reference, I cannot change the original IP address.)

I've thought about various ways to solve the IP address duplication problem and finally figured out NAT.

Can I solve the IP duplication problem by using NAT in a situation like this?

Best regards,

hhhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.JPG

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your diagram shows the L3 switch 9300 connected to 3 boxes of which 2 have duplicated addresses. What do the boxes represent? Is each box a building that is connected to the L3 switch in a single vlan? Is each box a separate vlan? Or some other characteristic identifies each box?

But I think that we can probably answer your question without understanding what the boxes represent. When a question comes up about duplicated addresses then address translation is usually the solution that is suggested. And this can work if the duplicated addresses are connected to different L3 devices. In this case one (or more) devices can do NAT and duplicated addresses are not an issue. But in your case the different boxes with duplicated addresses are connected to the same L3 device. I do not see how that L3 switch could translate addresses from one connected interface to another connected interface.

HTH

Rick

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically Duplicate address can be solved as you mentioned using NATing for the overlapping address.

But as per the Digram, we have only visibility of Cat 9300 Switch connected to each device( that device is capable of handling NAT?) what is that device in each place. Cat 9300 alone can not handle NAt, you need a different device in place that can able to NAT for the address.

If you do not have NAT capable device in the network, what is the challenge to re-ip the address ( i know you have mentioned you can not do that)  -  simplify the solution without additional cost. ? - is this can be considered?

Also once you NAT with IP address or original SYSLOG Server can only see NAT IP address not behind all the address, is this your requirement to monitor Syslog all the device - then the solution may not work.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: