cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5 Clean Install?

thessick
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to do a new 2.5 install on a clean 2003 Server. Will the 2.5 upgrade allow a complete install? If not, is a full version of 2.5 available?

Any word on 3.0?

Thanks

Tom

15 Replies 15

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, you should be able to ise the 2.5 CDs to do a new install.

You can also use your old CW server if you still have it. If I remember correctly, RME and DFM are the only apps which ask you to do this.

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I tried this on win2K. The original partition for CW was to small according to the install program, so I had to use another partition.

The install did not complain about the absence of LMS2.2 so I thought it was OK.

I couldn't get tomcat started afterwards. It complained about the absence of dll's, jvm.dll and others. I didn't investigate long time thought.

I don't think it works.

I now have to install a LMS 2.5 on a solaris version that the LMS 2.2 setup doesn't like. I await from a full version or our LMS 2.5 NFR kit.

Cheers,

Michel

cpaalman
Level 1
Level 1

Tom,

I've done a fresh install from our LMS 2.5 upgrade media to a freshly installed windows 2000 server. I only had a problem with validating the DFM upgrade, which a recent patch resolved.

Chris P.

Thank You

TAC has responded that it should work.

Also, We had to abort the install process due to a drive problem. Now installation fails with a file missing error. Any idea what I need to clean up to start the install over?

Tom

I think it checks for the CSCOpx directory and the existance of the install log files located in the root directory of the system drive (usually C:\) named Ciscoworks_setup00x.log.

If I am reading this string correctly, you can do a full install from the LMS2.5 package, even thought the CDs indicate that it is an upgrade package. I am having difficulty in deciphering the Part Number algorithm used to mark these distributions. Is CWLMS-2.5-SR-K9 a full install package?

It didn't work for me, and it seems cisco says "It should" work.

I also feel it "should" work but would like to know if it does.

Did anyone get some clear responses from the TAC?

Michel

Thanks,

I deleted the CSCOpx directory and all of the log files but install will not run.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Tom

ToddWarren
Level 1
Level 1

I was forced to do the same because a same server upgrade created a whole lot of issues. Pay attention to the post about the DFM upgrade patch. You will need to validate your upgrades (using *.bat files found in CSCOpx\Bin directory). In order to validate DFM you need a new validateupgrade.class file from cisco. This will work! You do need the LMS 2.2 media! Good luck!

So is there not a full install package for 2.5? I have two -SR- pacckages and both indicate it is an upgrade for previous versions. Patching in an endless cycle is cumbersome. A fully functional install of the current version has got to be available.

If you currently, have LMS 2.2 you can use the 2.5 upgrade kit to install as a full install! As noted by Todd, you will need the LMS 2.2 disks to validate your user licenses. See pages 30/31 in Quick Start Guide for LMS 2.5. Hopefully, this clears some confusion up.

See BugID CSCsa70833 regarding validating DFM.

grim
Level 1
Level 1

I did this upgrade recently on Solaris 2.8 from LMS 2.2 to LMS 2.5 (CWLMS-2.5-SR-K9). The main difference is that LMS 2.5 introduces a licencing model that requires you to enter a PAK and PIN number. There are obviously application changes (the front end has changed completely) and there is now a central credential repository ..... although each application (ie RME, DFM etc) also has its local version! The install checks the existing cw2k packages and uses that as an indication of your entitlement to upgrade. That is why it says you may need to insert your DFM media - if it cannot validate that you already have DFM installed it wants to see the original.

My experience of the upgrade was that it backs up the data and then actually removes the old packages from the system before installing the new ones. The backup data is then restored intop the new database schemas. The *essential* pre-requisite prior to attemting the upgrade is to download the http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-cd-one/check_pkg_errors.sh script and run it (./check_pkg_errors.sh -c). After the install, there are patches that make life a lot easier. Use the software update manager within LMS to download the patches; I had to manually download one of the patches (outside of LMS) to get the proxy services working properly before I could download and apply the other updates! Some of the functionality does not seem to have been carried forward from earlier releases; ie I cannot yet find the equivalent of "Network Show Commands" :(

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card