cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 upgrade to LMS 4.2 (Prime)

srego4
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone has done this direct upgrade?. Is it better to uninstall LMS 4.0 completely and then install LMS 4.2 or could I do a direct upgrade?. I've heard the db tables etc. have changed a lot and might cause problems for a direct upgrade.

Any suggestions/tips are welcome.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Mat Barry
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/install/guide/overview.pdf  I think there are some guidelines on here.  You may need to do a point patch to 4.0.1 first.  

In my opinion, (personally) it would depend on how much I had configured.   In my experience, it sometimes gets flaky after a few upgrades (3.2->4.0.1>4.1>4.2).     I ended up running another box parallel and added things back gradually before switching over the IP and migrating data.    Even then, some of the devices were still misbehaving until I removed them and added them manually.

Thanks Mat. I should have mentioned, I am already on 4.0.1.

I'd agree with Mat re not wanting to do too many in-place upgrades - even if it's a supported path.

However 4.01 to 4.2 is a direct one step upgrade and should be fine. I went from 4.1 to 4.2 and added the .1-.3 patches on top of that.

For some reason the 4.2.x patches must be sequentially installed and aren't cumulative. So getting up to the current 4.2.3 will entail a couple of extra steps.

Thanks Marvin. I did read your blog on the 4.2.3 upgrade. I do intend to backup my db, export credentials, collectors etc. just in case.

A secondary question - do the net config jobs get carried over to the new version or do they all get lost?

You're welcome.

Alas I didn't have any netconfig jobs setup to confirm the answer to your secondary question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: