Views
Helpful
Replies

3745 network-clock and VWIC-2MFT in WIC slot 0

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Has anyone done network-clock-participate wic 0 for a 3745 and VWIC-2MFT?

Having issues where the T1s go down after entering the network-clock commands. Trying to enter them to resolve clocking issues. The 2 port VWIC has 2 line clocked T1s in it.

3745 w/VWIC-2MFT in WIC slot 0

Commands trying:

network-clock-participate wic 0

network-clock-select 1 T1 0/1

network-clock-select 2 T1 0/2

4 Replies 4

Maulik Shah
Level 5
Level 5

are you using the T1s for voice? OR are these for data? If you see controlled slips on 1 of the T1s that would be normal if both T1s are NOT clocked from the same source (network-clock commands would not help) - check this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a0080087b28.html#37679

Maulik

I am aware of this issue with the VWIC-2MFT and similar 2 port NM-HD modules. The web page does not have a sample of a 2 port VWIC with 2 data T1s coming into same card.

We have 2 T1s part of a multilink frame relay bundle coming into a VWIC-2MFT. The second T1 is line clocking and first one is line primary. I expect slips to happen on 2nd port regardless due to design of the VWIC-2MFT hardware but cisco docs state the router can anticpate the controlled slips.

Now, for data T1s the controlled slips are not really noticabale to user. But if these were Voice T1s they would be.

Is there a reason why 2 data T1s aren't covered in that document? Many people are not aware of the clocking issues with these and I find several people buying 2 port VWICs to do data on them to get port density at a lower cost. Then the slips and clocking problems are a real bear to clean up at times afterwards.

But putting the above aside, the network-clock commands we put in above should not have caused the T1 to go down. I know they won't help in this situation but all we were trying to do was set a common clocking source for the router backplane/PLL.

JOSE TORRES
Level 1
Level 1

what version of ios are you using?

I ran into an issue with the same platform, where we had to reboot the router for everything to come up correctly.

12.3(11)T3