Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco TFTP on a independant server

ldemanet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there a way to install the Cisco TFTP server on a separate server, independantly of the IPTEL cluster? Is this supported?

How are the IP Phones config file pushed to the TFTP server in that situation? Many thanks.

4 Replies 4

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

Theoretically, you would have a config file for every phone in that instance. However, I couldn't figure out a way to seperate the services. On top of that, it would scare me greatly to do so especially when it came time to patch the server. I would like to try it in the lab though, what TFTP server would you be running?

Rick

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for your reply.

I would run the Cisco TFTP server...

Running the TFTP server on its own server is in the design guide I have been doing it for 2 years since the 3.1x era. When you install CallManager you just choose TFTP install only then you point it to the publisher and makesure opt 150 0r 066 in your DHCP scope is set to your tftp name or ip which ever option you choose. I do DNS so I am using Opt 150 you can not use both you have to choose.

In my situation, the tftp server would be on an untrusted segment, while the CCM would be on a DMZ. What should be opened on the Firewall between both in order for the TFTP server to get all the required info from the CCM to build the ip phones config file? Thanks for your help!