cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how does everyone test 911

briley
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a command I can use to test this without calling 911? I have just been calling them and asking what information they recive but I want to avoid this if posible, does anyone know any debug commands and what the output should be?

5 Replies 5

johutchins
Level 1
Level 1

DNA can prove that you have all your CSSs and RGs, RLs, etc configured right, but ultimately, you should make a 911 call to verify the address, company name and any other info is correct.

I have had times where they got the wrong address or no address.

--Jon

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should call PSAP in order to make sure their inormation matches. Consider this a operations task, and do it once a month or whatever suits you.

Chris

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Best recommended way is to call them. I always do that in my installs. 9911, as well as 911 (to test both) and tell them that this is a phone system check and also verify the Calling number they see on their end.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

There's no substitute for actually calling and testing toward the end of your install. If you're having trouble with say, an Emergency Responder install and you need to make a lot of calls, you could play with route patterns to redirect the calls somewhere else. However, this is just for development and troubleshooting things like the ANI you're sending, and is NOT a substitute for a real test. If you don't call the PSAP and ask them what shows up on their screen, you've not tested huge portions of the call path and verified that they have the right address and name in their database.

The first thing out of your mouth needs to be something like "This is a test call, do you have time for a number and address check?" If you need to make one or more followup test calls, ask if it's okay to do so on your first test call. If they have a lot going on, they'll tell you and you can get out of their way. This has always worked for me making one or two test calls at the end of each install. After the install, especially for larger multisite installs, we recommend the customer test at least quarterly and talk with the local fire and safety folks about their preferences for exactly when and how that's done. Nobody objects to testing, it needs to be done. You just try to be minimally intrusive on their time and their real jobs and get out of their way immediately if they're busy.

Would you recommend making test calls from each ERL? To me, it makes sense to do so, but have others who do not feel necessary. Can you provide some technical insight one way or the other? TIA, Christina

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: