cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Softphone Installation

bridges26
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed the IP Softphone on my laptop and did the necessary configurations on CallMGR setting up the CTI port enabling the check box for CTI application use etc. Now my problem is that my softphone will not work in Stand alone mode (1) and (2) my softphone controls my IP phone in which I can hear people talking thru the speakerphone on my IP phone and they can't hear me when I talk on my usb headset (Plantronics) and neither can I hear them thru the softphone/headset. This has me really baffled and I know I am missing something. I also associated the CTI device and I can see my lines. Am I also suppose to see the IP Soft phone line I associated?

IP Phone - 7940

CALLMGR - 4.0

IP Softphone Ver 1.3

Headset - Plantronics

Notebooks - compaq evo N600c and HP 6000c

If anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it! I have ran up and down the Cisco support.

Thanks,

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

The IP SoftPhone product can operate in one of two modes. One mode is to remotely operate your existing hardware phone, which you've obviously become familiar with. The other mode is to become an independent phone and send/receive audio through your PC, which is where you're trying to go.

It sounds like you've gone through all the steps to use SoftPhone the way you want. You mention that you've "associated the CTI device"; this is worth double-checking because this one point where you could be breaking down. Your username that you've configured into the Cisco TSP should have control over the CTI port you intend to use.

If that's in good shape, and it probably is, then there's a strong likelihood you're selecting the wrong line to control when you start up SoftPhone. If you look at the URL below, you'll see how to access the Line Selection dialog. You ought to have at least two lines to pick from: at least one for your 7940 phone and one for your CTI port. You can tell them apart by the You need to make sure you see and pick the CTI port, because by whatever means you're selecting the 7940 phone to control right now. The URL below also describes how to tell the two apart if you're confused.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps1860/products_quick_start09186a00800a5a22.html#39534

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

The IP SoftPhone product can operate in one of two modes. One mode is to remotely operate your existing hardware phone, which you've obviously become familiar with. The other mode is to become an independent phone and send/receive audio through your PC, which is where you're trying to go.

It sounds like you've gone through all the steps to use SoftPhone the way you want. You mention that you've "associated the CTI device"; this is worth double-checking because this one point where you could be breaking down. Your username that you've configured into the Cisco TSP should have control over the CTI port you intend to use.

If that's in good shape, and it probably is, then there's a strong likelihood you're selecting the wrong line to control when you start up SoftPhone. If you look at the URL below, you'll see how to access the Line Selection dialog. You ought to have at least two lines to pick from: at least one for your 7940 phone and one for your CTI port. You can tell them apart by the You need to make sure you see and pick the CTI port, because by whatever means you're selecting the 7940 phone to control right now. The URL below also describes how to tell the two apart if you're confused.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps1860/products_quick_start09186a00800a5a22.html#39534

Jasyoung you put me on on the right track. When you wrote "You need to make sure you see and pick the CTI port." The problem is that we have our phones setup to if I'm on call and another call comes in that other line start ringing. To call manager that's another device and these devices are somehow tied together. I can't get rid of one without the other. So I got rid of them both and was able to see the CTI port. Each company has their own unique way I guess. Thanks Jas!!!!