cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access point wireless mesh & wired

LeonG
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to install 3 access points on 3 buildings that would be connected via wire with CAT6 cables from the LAN & I would like these wireless access points to all have the same SSIDs meshed. 

Can someone recommend access points that can mesh wireless & LAN?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Before we talk about "model", do all three buildings have PERMANENT line of sight (all year round)?
What are the distances?

All 3 building are 2 stories that has permanent line of site all year.
The distances are :
Building A to building B is 200 feet
Building B to building C is 50 feet
Building A to building C is 250 feet

Get a wireless site survey done.
Look into getting a 1562E with some patch/directional antenna.

But why would you want to run mesh if you have cables?
Are you expecting the cables to be unreliable?

The APs point to each other to for a multi-point wireless bridge. The ethernet connects to the switch so they can link up to the network.

The reason for a wireless mesh that's also wired is to have a continuous wireless network that could span the entire compound. On AP1, AP2 or AP3 even if it's the same password & staff would not know to connect to the closer AP.

For example if AP1 is on Building A & a person moves to Building B I would want them to connect to the strongest wireless access point for example AP2, this would require manually connecting to the higher signal wireless network.

To have a contentious wireless network across the building with the same SSID & password, this is much easier for staff.

If you have a lan connection between the buildings, look into Mobility Express and normal indoor APs. That should also fulfill your requirements.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card