cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 v1 Hardware VPN Throughput?

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I'd like to know what type of VPN throughput I should be seeing for the rv016 connected via a site-to-site vpn.  One of my connections has a t1 while the other has 4mbps upload bandwidth.  I know that would translate to roughly 100k/sec and 400k/sec, but I don't think I'm seeing anything near that.

Any opinions and experiences appreciated.

<p/><p/><p/>Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
6 Replies 6

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Samir,

Thank you for reaching Cisco Small Business Support Community.

Please find below a IxChariot performance test on a RV042 for your reference;

The test summary in Mbps:

RV016

WAN - LAN

LAN - WAN

Simultaneous

client to gateway (3DES, MD5)

I hope you find this information helpful and please let me know if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Thank you for the quick reply, but I believe this is for v3 hardware.  I want to know what the earlier models are supposed to be capable of.  Do you have anything for v1 hardware?

Hello Samir,

Unfortunately I have found no related documentation on the version 1 of the RV016 router, neither I can run the test since I have no access to one.  I suggest you to contact the Small Business Support Center to find out if they can provide you the requested info;

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance we may help you with.

Thanks again,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

I'm about to get rid of my rv016 v1 because I need something that will do wire speed.  If you can create any test data for the v1 hardware, I will keep these in service.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Is there any information like this for the rv042 v1 hardware?  That might help me as well.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

So the answer to my original question, which I recently tested on a rv016 v1 hardware  v3.0.0.19tm firmware, the maximum site-to-site vpn throughput I was able to get via iperf was between 45-50+ Mbits/sec, which is also the fastest I found it can do on the WAN.

What surprised me is that it bested a current model Netgear FVS318N which could only do about 20Mbits/sec on the same VPN test.

Newer isn't always better. ;)  This almost 10 year old rv016 will return to service this year.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: