Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4461 throughput license

Breejesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have ISR 4461 router having 2 ISPs terminating with each has 1Gig internet bandwidth. We have failover on ISP circuits. 

We have below licenses pre-installed on the box.

Technology Package License Information:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Technology Technology-package Technology-package
Current Type Next reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------
appxk9 appxk9 Smart License appxk9
uck9 uck9 Smart License uck9
securityk9 securityk9 Smart License securityk9
ipbase ipbasek9 Smart License ipbasek9

The current throughput level is unthrottled

My question is, do I need to install throughput license considering the fact that we have two ISPs with each having 1 gig internet bandwidth. Asking because users are complaining slowness on internet speed (max hit 300mbps in speedtest.net result).

Please advise.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

not really sure what you mean by:

--> The current throughput level is unthrottled

Does that mean you have the Boost license installed ?

What is the output of:

show platform hardware throughput level

?

With the 300MB limit your users are experiencing, you most likely have the performance license installed.

Check the post linked below, it has a table that lists the throughput per router model and license...

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/isr-4331-max-throughput-licence/td-p/4312292

@Georg Pauwen 

Thanks for responding. Please see the output below for the command you asked for

SINSEA-WANRTR-01#show platform hardware throughput level
The current throughput level is unthrottled

We do not have any performance license installed. See below

SINSEA-WANRTR-01#sho license summary
License Usage:
License Entitlement Tag Count Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No licenses in use

Router model is ISR 4461 and the default throughput for 4461 is 1.5 Gbps as per https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet-c78-732542.html

Now not sure if I need to manually hit a command "platform hardware throughput level 150000" to set to default throughput instead of "unthrottled".

Please advise.

"Router model is ISR 4461 and the default throughput for 4461 is 1.5 Gbps . . ."

Yes, that's correct.  What's the total interface traffic when you hit the 300 Mbps limit?

Although you note you have gig links, you're providers don't sub-limit your bandwidth and/or guarantee gig rates?  (For for the "guarantee", not an "up to", correct?)

When someone does a speedtest, individual users unable to obtain more that 300 Mbps?  If so, also true when only one user running test, vs. multiple users running test and/or no other Internet traffic?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card