cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 876 CD Led flashes only slowly, no adsl connection

EH1165305
Level 1
Level 1

The CD led on my 876 configured router flashes slowly and doesn't connect to the ISP although configuration and IOS seems ok.

Software: I already tried several IOS versions (c870-adventerprisek9-mz.124 series). Tried format flash and loaded new IOS on Rommon. Tried different Rommon files (C870_RM_ALT.srec.123-8r.YI6 and Y13)

I tried with CCP configuration and tested. Testreport in CCP says check wiring and connection. I can't see any irregularities there.

Hardware: I tried a different memorycard.

In initialising/ boot up all leds seem to function normally. After startup CD led doesn't burn untill configure interface up up. Then it flashes but to slowly in comparrison with a functioning same router. After connecting the adsl cable flashing stays in to slow rithmus and does not start to burn constantly as does the comparison router.

The second same router which I also tested with same IOS and running configs shows a circa 3 times faster flashing of the green CD led and connects on the same cable as normal with connection and constantly led lighting after connect with ISP.

Can someone please tell me what the problem could be. Please don't blame me if I forgot to give some relevant information I'm not a professional, just an interested Cisco amateur.

Thanks in advance for your appreciated help,

kind regards

Emil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Number of  possible causes exists.

1. Is  PSTN lin plugged into router working fine.

2. Router port might be faulty.

3. Issue can b also with the authentication.

Can u paste output of following commands and  debugs:

sh dsl interface atm

debug dialer  ( If  you have created one)

debug ppp authentication and debug ppp negotiation

Regards,

Smitesh

View solution in original post

Great..

Then definately hardware is faulty.

Rasing the RMA is your solution then... :-)

Regards,

Smitesh Kharecha

Don't Forget to rate if you find information helpful.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

876 is for ADSL over ISDN.

You likely have regular ADSL over POTS, in which case the 876 will not work, and nothing can be done to have it working.

So you need to buy an 877 or 857 instead .

Sorry for not being clear enough, but of course I'm talking about the ISDN version. As I stated I have two of the 876 Routers. Both are the same and just one of them does not function (anymore). As I mentioned the only difference in my opinion is the blinking speed of the non functioning router is slower and in not getting connection it does also not get a constant ligthing as does the functioning get in connection.

On both routers I tried same config files, same rommon files and same IOS to rule out software problems.

Thanks though for your answer.... other suggestions?

Number of  possible causes exists.

1. Is  PSTN lin plugged into router working fine.

2. Router port might be faulty.

3. Issue can b also with the authentication.

Can u paste output of following commands and  debugs:

sh dsl interface atm

debug dialer  ( If  you have created one)

debug ppp authentication and debug ppp negotiation

Regards,

Smitesh

Thanks  for your suggestions. Personally I got the impression the routerport will be faulty, as I got the connection working on my spare second router. Don't know how to test or diagnose this...

In answer on your questions I got no output in debugging. In completion I did also a sh ip int brief. Here are the outcomes (I masked my Ip address with xxx):

Router876#sh dsl interface atm0
ATM0
Alcatel 20190 chipset information

Line has not yet been activated.

Modem Status:    Down (DMTDSL_DLOAD_1)
DSL Mode:        Unknown
Interrupts:      35 (15 spurious)
PHY Access Err:  0
Activations:     0
LED Status:      OFF
LED On Time:     500
LED Off Time:    500
Init FW:         init_AMR-3.0.014_no_bist.bin
Operation FW:    AMR-3.0.014.bin
FW Source:       embedded

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled
Router876#

I also did a sh int brief with following output
Router876#sh ip int brief
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
ATM0                       unassigned      YES NVRAM  initializing          down
ATM0.1                     unassigned      YES unset  initializing          down
BRI0                       unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
BRI0:1                     unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
BRI0:2                     unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
Dialer0                    213.xxx.xxx.xxx YES NVRAM  up                    up
FastEthernet0              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
FastEthernet1              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet2              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet3              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
NVI0                       unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
Virtual-Access1            unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
Vlan1                      10.10.10.1      YES NVRAM  up                    up

( From another internet address I tried to connect my Ip address but got an unreachable message)
Router876#debug dialer
Dial on demand events debugging is on
Router876#

#debug ppp authentication //no output detected
Router876#debug ppp authentication
PPP authentication debugging is on
Router876#

#debug ppp negotiation // no output here
Router876##debug ppp negotiation
Router876#

Router876#sh dsl interface  atm0
ATM0
Alcatel 20190 chipset information

Line has not  yet been activated.

The last line suggest me

1. Either your PSTN line is dead. Try plugging into analog phone to hear the dial tone.

2. ADSL services is not activated on that PSTN line.

3. and if all the above is as it should be, then definately port is faulty.

Thank you very much for your kind support.

As I went to bed I saw today that the led also blinks in different sequences and not only slowly.

For your remarks:

The Telephonline is up, I have a normal connection on my ISDN telephons. De cable and connection for my ADSL router are definitely ok as I tried (again) several other routers (876 and 836 and Soho96) which are all functioning normally.

So the solution will be a Cisco repair of the hardware problem. I will send the router to a support station.

Thanks again for your great help, have a nice day

Emil

Great..

Then definately hardware is faulty.

Rasing the RMA is your solution then... :-)

Regards,

Smitesh Kharecha

Don't Forget to rate if you find information helpful.

I was just thinking once again: Could it be also a Firmware issue or something like that. I mean a software problem on the hardware functions. And is that solvable in case it is?

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Emil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card