Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast traffic L2 in Switch Nexus

joao.beca
Level 1
Level 1

Someone has any ideia?

I have 2 N5K peers and 1 N7K peer in my Datacenter. The N7K is Switch Core and both N5K peers connected to it by VPC that I´ll call them (AB-01/AB-02) and (DE-01/DE-02).

I have 4 servers in the N5K peer DE-01/DE-02 that works fine with each other by Multicast in the same VLAN and I installed one machine in the N5K peer AB-01/AB-02 that I receive the Multicast Packet from the others servers, and I see in the interface by TCPDUMP this server sending Multicast packet but I don´t receive that packets in peer DE-01/DE-02 in any server.

I disabled the IGMP snooping in the VLAN associated that I want them to communicate in all my network, the N5K peers and N7K Switch Core to the packets flow by broadcast.

5 Replies 5

anazarenko
Level 1
Level 1

You need to introduce igmp querier for igmp snooping to work correctly. 

Hi Ana,

In the Cisco document, they says that if you disabled the IGMP, it would work as broadcast traffic in the solution 5.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/68131-cat-multicast-prob.html

David Silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You need to verify that the server in AB-01/AB-02 is a part of the multicast group to be abel to receive the traffic. You do NOT need to be a memeber of a group to send traffic to said group.

On AB-01/AB-02, look at the output of "show ip igmp snooping groups vlan X" and find the muliticast address that is being used. Make sure that you see your server interface as a member of that group. If you don't see it there, that means it isn't sending any multicast joins for that group address. That would be the first thing I would check out.

Let me know what you find out.

-David

Hello David, Thanks for the advice.

I had done it before but here is the output. It don´t show nothing:

AB-01# sh ip igmp snooping groups vlan 2535
Type: S - Static, D - Dynamic, R - Router port

Vlan  Group Address      Ver  Type  Port list
AB-01#

AB-02# sh ip igmp snooping groups vlan 2535
Type: S - Static, D - Dynamic, R - Router port

Vlan  Group Address      Ver  Type  Port list
AB-02#

Maybe, It could be because we disabled the igmp snooping?

Hugs

joao.beca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello for everyone.

The problem was the new server had been configured with the MTU 9000 in the interface, and the other servers were configured with MTU 1500.

Hugs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card